Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post by manplesvanuatu » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Hey Ino
I wear a green suit..hmm what you trying to say bro?
Don't let people see you kiss and hug me man..I don't want people to get the wrong idea hehe.
Ok let me keep an eye on people..damn I feel like I have become a professional kite launcher now.. It takes me 40 mn to get out on the water these days with everyone and their mothers asking me to launch their kites:)

Peace Hello

Paul

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Heheheh, I should have cleared that out.You are the super handsome heroic yet humble kite king of Naish and Genetrix kites ^^ that gets a hug and kiss everytime. And i dont care who knows it MJ0_

Yet the other guy on green :naughty:

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm

I think I know who this is and I will have a chat with him.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Hey Sonny , there are many great guys that ride Cabrinha s and that can have green wetsuits. This guy had also grey ish half gloves on a twintip . His style is different than many others , make sure you see the launch or the arrogance beforehand. If he is a regular(i hightly doubt) it ll all make sense and he ll fit my description.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm

steve wrote:shred...
if you are going to have someone launch you that you don't know/trust, probably should tell them not to release your kite until you give them the "thumbs up." Probably elementary, but....
steve
Thanks. Leave it to me to learn things the hard way! ](*,)

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 am

Sonny:
as we discussed yesterday...I think we are correct in guessing who may be the 'hot shot"
steve

Blackbird
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 am

I'm with Steve. If the person is new, the kiter should be deemed responsible for letting them know NOT to launch until getting a thumbs up. If they do, no matter what the consequences, or not, it is the KITERS responsibility to ream the shit out of the idiot.

Best beginner lesson: You are responsible for everything you do when kiting. Including notifying people a better way to do what is currently being done poorly.

Surf Maui
Joey
Joey

Post by Surf Maui » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 am

It has been brought to my attention that someone on this forum (ino) was writing about me. (I am gone on vacation so it is taking me some time to respond) After reading this post I have to say that I have NEVER been so misrepresented. To begin your title states your sacastic attitude very succinctly. Anyone who knows me realizes that I count myself as anything but a "Hot Shot". I am a 3rd season kiter who always asks questions so that I may kite safely and efficiently.Your description of my kiting skills in terms of jumps and location of jumps displays your skewed and emotional attitude.

On the Monday that you are referencing, the following FACTS occurred:

1) I spent time in the parking lot getting to know the guy you describe as the big guy with the blue Nash. (I will refer to him as "M" as I don't want to drag his name into this without his approval)
2) I chose to walk up to the upper launch as well for convenience. It became apparent that the wind had dropped and that my kite was going to be too small.
3)"M" came in from an ended short session. He offered that I use his 14M kite as I am lighter than him, and I took him up on his offer. I spent a short 15-20 min session as the wind picked up. We had a pleasant conversation at length after my session about our differences in kites
4) I then urged him to go out as the wind had picked up so he asked me to launch him. I picked up the kite where "he chose to launch it". I admit, it felt a bit unusual to launch this direction but I hadn't launched from upper launch in a couple of years (other than once or twice due to conditions) Knowing that a kite can be launched at either edge of the window I obliged. The launch are wasn't very crowded.
5)"M" gave me a thumbs up for launch I acknowledged him with a head nod as I always do with folks I am unfamiliar with. He acknowledged back with his head nod. I even got the attention of a couple kiters who were standing down wind that we were about to launch.One of them helped to clear a line from beneath a kite bag that a line was snared on. Prior to launch I confirmed that the rear lines had just tensioned as "M" moved into his launch position. Everything looked fine for a normal launch. I did give the kite a light toss as I have become accustomed to at lower launch. If there is anything I did incorrectly this would be it.
The kite did not launch hot. His kite very slowly fell back in the wind window and tumbled downwind on the ground. He reacted by pulling his release when the kite was approaching the downwind position.
6)You ran to me aggressively shouting that it was "totally my fault" and "had I ever launched a kite before?" I was startled by that accusation and sheapishly said yes but mostly at lower launch. This comment about lower launch was because I had recognized my error of the toss and my mind instantly switched to question as to why I had done that instinctually.
7) I then immediately ran to "M"'s kite to retrieve it for him because I felt responsible. (Before my running to "M" you had already stormed off, very visible pissed off.) I was instantly apologetic to "M" and was very gracious and said it wasn't my fault and that he had learned a lot from the situation. We talked further about how he enjoyed my using his kite earlier. I then offered to relaunch him and he stated that he didn't really want to go out in the first place before I had encouraged him to go out so he chose to end his day with no reflection on what had just happened. I apologized repeatedly and he was a super gracious guy.
8)(This emoticon somehow showed up here, and I cant delete it) I then launched another kiter (from the normal direction) It was by no means a hot launch (nor was "M"'s kite launch as it did a slow backward tumble) I didn't see any issues with this launch and hadn't given it another thought. Now upon reflection; the kite had a slight (3-4ft) drift backwards before climbing which I do not believe is the definition of a hot launch. I had picked up the kite from where it was laying and the owner of this kite moved into the position where he wanted to launch from. How is that a reflection on me and his launch? I did not toss the kite as I had learned my error moments earlier.
9)"M" then launched my kite for me and I headed out to have a nice time. As always I thanked him for the launch and asked him if he would kindly move a jagged beer bottle bottom which had its shards pointing straight up waiting to do serious harm to whomever stepped on it. He happily obliged. Hardly consistent with your description of my having given him a hard time.
10) Your insulting comments about my kiting ability is laughable to me as I had an underpowered kite and was waiting for the wind to come up. I played around with a few admitted anemic transition back rolls. The few weak jumps (low wind for my kite size thereby prompting my large kite movements) that I did (a minimum of 300-400 yards away from the launch) were just before I left that area. The jumps I was playing with in that location was to compare the 14M Naish kite power to my 11M kite. There was absolutely no one in the launch area either in front or behind me. By no means was I being a showman as you stated, as that is in no way who I am. Lots of absurd and inaccurate assumptions on your part.
11) I then went down and worked on my latest maneuvers between the upper and lower launch areas, where my friends were riding. I worked on learning my backroll transition with kite loop and my jump transitions with kite loop.
12)After a 2 hour session I made an uneventful landing at the lower launch.
13) I then spoke with "M" at length in the parking lot comparing our kites as we are both bigger guys. He is a super nice guy and again wouldn't accept my further apologies for the poor launch.

So here is what I can't understand about your attitude towards me:

Have you forgotten how it is to help others out without intimidation practices? Are you really so superior that you can put down my skill level? Just over the weekend I retrieved a runaway kite that was spiraling downwind and I returned it to the lower launch zone. The next day I retrieved a guys board and kited down below his kite and untangled his inverted wrapped bridle from his kite so that he could body drag back in. Does that sound like a "Hot Shot" to you? I have never done any of those operations before but took on the risk to help others. I have come down to 3rd regularly for 3 years now and my sole goals are to have a great time, be safe, make friends with similar minded people, learn new stuff (without crap comments about my skills) and to help out others in the same way that I have been fortunate to have been helped as I was learning. Those goals should be consistent with everyone's goals. I welcome a direct discussion with you. Your opinions are riddled with inaccuracies (more than I care to respond to). I will write it off as you having a bad day and having the need to bolster support from others with your inaccuracies.
As I have stated before, I acknowledge and own the mistakes that I make and try to learn from them. The adolescent name calling and labels that you are trying to attach to me are completely unfounded. Yes I made a mistake and I apologized to the person to whom it affected. You ought to talk to "M" as well as I don't speak in emotions, I deal only in facts. If you had approached me in a helpful and cordial way you would have gotten your facts straight and you might have had a less frustrating day.That is how I conduct my business. Anyone who knows me understands that fact about me. I am nothing else if not conscientious. I have a track record that speaks for itself.

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:21 am

i m so glad that this message got to you.
Let me tell you this first, You,can not change what I saw and experienced. All the explanantion that you have does not change anything about your 2 time lunch and attitude.His lines were fine ,he was on a oversized kite 14m , and you let him go(THREW THE KITE) before the kite was on the edge of the window.
I also have a somewhat record of being an easy going guy. I only flip to guys like you and that s very rare. At that time If you were to accept your mistake and not say hey( I m from lower launch thats how we do it there) than launch the next guy the same way, I would be drinking my tea and not writing this post.

3 years ago I launched a guy in wadell on a very windy day I had no idea with the wind and sand on my face i let the kite go when he signalled and he was dragged so hard all over bleeding. I went and appologised and it was on my nightmares for years. untill I saw him this year In Maui and re appologised ,he said there was nothing I can do.But still I was the launcher.

Last year I also launched a good friend with a surfboard in his hand, he moved his board up I thought it was the signal so I let go, and he got lofted again regardless of intention it was my fault, he ripped his new 10 into pieces and dragged all over sand.
And I have anout 10 years of experience, It means nothing but I m Level2 senior instructor with IKO thought over 1000 safe logged in hours, 2 continents and over hundereds of students , I m the next examiner candidate for Europe with IKO and again this means nothing at all but What matters is that I 'm an experienced instructor for 7 years but I still make mistakes and accept the mistakes I make.

some of your buddies in 3rd ave are my students and I thought them
I still do not justify my actions right as The launcher or the Kiter.

I can tell you none of the guys in lower launch will let that pass, this sport is based on the safety of others for Some of us just need to be broken In to reality, it was charlie for me about 7 years ago in Berkeley Marina when I was new to Berkeley and I was a hazard ,he told me right away, I was hurt but oh boy am I gratefull for what he taught me.

Now that you appologised to M I m very happy. I 'm also very sorry about my remearks with your kiting I was just offended to see M walk away when I saw you jump right after I got angrier.Please accept my appology with that. i have alot of symphaty for these beginners they deserve good examples, and trust me it would have been different if M had not pulled his safety. But overall I hope this has been a learning experience for both of us. I 'm stoked you get to read my post and hopefully with least damage you heard my point.

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 am

M stands for mike. Cool guy- alameda regular