Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Surf Maui
Joey
Joey
Re: Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post by Surf Maui » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for your response Sonny. I understand the no toss part anywhere but at lower launch. It was a mistake doing it at the upper. I never ever do that, and I surely wont again. The winds were really light at that particular time and I subconsciously screwed up.
Thanks for the 100 deg input. The way Bret taught me to find that sweet spot, is by walking upwind until the rear lines just go taught. He told me that many kiters have the back float on launch from being too far forward and that this method will elevate that. I know we have all see him do his radius run at launch. I will confirm this method the next time over beers with him.

BigDaddy
Joey
Joey

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:48 pm

I am the "M" referenced in this post. I have been windsurfing since 1991, but started kiteboarding last season. I mainly kite at 3rd, not just for wind conditions and safety reasons, but also because of the sense of community and the friendships I have developed with all the kiters and windsurfer at 3rd. I cherish these relationships and am very grateful for them.

I saw all the posts on this event, and not all of the data is correct. So,I thought I could set a few things straight.

I absolutely agree with all the safety concerns highlighted in this post and must confirm that "Good Times" did in fact throw my kite instead of just letting it go. Luckily, I was able to eject the safety in time, and prevent any injury or damage. However, "Good Times" realized his mistake immediately, kept apologizing to me, and helped me get the kite right away. By that time, I was tired and decided not to go back in there water, but not because of what happened. A few minutes later, I actually helped "Good Times" launch his own kite and go kiting again. Afterwards, when he was done kiting, we met at the parking lot, and again he kept apologizing for his mistake.

Needless to say, we all make mistakes at one point or other. The important thing is how we learn from them. "Good Times" was/is very remorseful and I am certain he will never make this mistake again. But I want to give him credit for his sincere remorse and help afterwards. As far as I am concerned, this is water under the bridge , and I hope we get to Kiteboard together for years to come.

Cheers,

-M

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Awesome bro, I 'm so glad to hear this from you. I tried to come to talk to you but was buisy trying to explain your launcher what he did wrong, ( you did the right thing to pull your safety for sure ) When you left right away and I felt so bad, thats why I started this post .
I Didn't see you launching him I was certain u were bummed to the max. Your 14m park looked pretty new.
I 'm sure good times is a nice guy, Maybe the stars did not match that day for me and him. Thats all.
I 'm so glad that this came to a hopefully positive ending. I was starting to doubt myself in what I saw.

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:30 am

Being selective about who launches your kite is a good idea. The other day a guy volunteered to launch me @ Sherman. He was wearing a wet suit and harness so I assumed he was capable. (big mistake)
He stood my kite on end and the canopy filled with air and lines tightened. I gave him a clear =- He seemed confused about what to do and started shouting back what seemed to be questions. I wear ear plugs so I am not sure what the issue was. I lowered my bar and took a step forward to release all the tension from my lines giving a ==== so that I could figure out what his concern was. He then let's go of the kite with a sort of "tada" motion. With no tension on my lines all I could do was watch as my kite rolled into the picnic table. One 5 inch tear in my canopy was the end result. ?#"_ Inexpensive lesson.
By the way anyone have any sail tape? Ino?

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 am

Hey bro i might make it to Sherman today afternoon. I ll bring kite tape. Is red ok?if I dont see you there I ll leave it by the wooden sighn that says going(by the walkway to the water)

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 pm

I appologise bro i couldn t make it to sherman to bring u the tape.