Boardriding Maui Cloud review

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderators: WindMuch, BayAreaKite

Re: Boardriding Maui Cloud review

Postby cleepa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 am

I have Maui Clouds, sizes 6, 8 and 10. I switched from 7, 9 and 12m Wainmans. That set of Clouds covers about the same range - a tiny bit less on the top and bottom than the Wainmans. I get way more use out of the 6 Cloud than I did out of the 7 Wainman.

My take on the Clouds is that for their size, they are extremely powerful and fast. Greg, the designer is very helpful with information and it has all been dead on. You really do need to drop down 2m in kite sizes from normal kites. They are a huge amount of fun on a surfboard. The power, turning speed, drift and light bar pressure lets me do things I couldn't before. I have never managed to make it fall out of the sky, despite putting it in some pretty ridiculous positions. It always just drifts back and flies again. Relaunch has not been more of a problem than anything else I've tried. Slogging back in when the wind dies is a bit harder as you have less kite area downwind of you. The turning speed makes up for that a bit. I am not the best person to ask about jumping. I do jump a bit. All I can really say is they seem to go up just fine, but for the finer points you would have to ask someone else. They have a really short throw, on/off power characteristic. This takes a little getting used to, but opens up some possibilities. You can oversheet the kite and make it turn literally around its centre.

I've not tried the bigger sizes. But describing the Clouds as a compact travel kite or a light wind kite is missing the point. The smaller sizes were designed first and were designed for performance. For the way I ride, I am really happy with that.
cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Boardriding Maui Cloud review

Postby sc-surfer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:51 am

I've been trying to get my hands on some Clouds to try. The designer is a cool guy but has no presence here to speak of and doesn't do demos. I even offered to give him a credit card as insurance and pay shipping both ways just to try one. He wouldn't go for it. I'm not sure what more I could have done to try to get one out here. I'm just not willing to buy a kite outright that I have never flown.

I'd love to connect with someone who has some and try them out. I'm happy to pay in beer or whatever works for you. I'm really stoked on the concept but want some hands on time before I drop some coin. It wouldn't be like buying a Cabrina or other name brand. If I didn't like it it could be hard to sell.

While I dig the designers super low key attitude and business style I don't understand his marketing strategy.....

Anybody in the South Bay/coast that is willing to demo one??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Postby Nxnwsurfer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 pm

@ Cleepa - Wasn't try to suggest that light wind only kite. Just the sizes that I bought and thought design was exceptional for light wind/travel. Watching Greg fly his in Maui shows you that design can handle all sorts of stronger wind.

@ SC-surfer - Go to Maui and Greg will let you demo one. He let me. Just got burned by a lot of prospective buyers, demoing and damaging/not returning the kites. Small grassroots business. Or just pull the trigger. If you don't like the design you'll be able to sell it for at least 80-90% of cost. Folks are always asking to try it. Guess only downside I would say is all the questions on the beach from interested kiters.
Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rowboat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:57 am

BTW - just started a FB group for Cloud riders -- pls join if you are on the Clouds...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cloudriders/
-- Lose the Handles
rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion