Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:57 am

3rd is cake once you get a few hundred feet upwind, sometimes I want to just float in the water at that point, eat popcorn and watch the $hit show.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Re: Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:40 am

From iWindsurf edscott says - "If someone knows this a$$hat's name, then iW can certainly pursue a civil claim for damages against the guy, given that the sensor is private property. Whether you'd ever see the money if you got a judgment against him, however, is an open question."

I think the community in general needs to layoff this poor guy. This was an accident and shit gets A LOT worse then one broken sensor. Doesn't ikite/iwind make its money from subscribers (kiters and windsurfers together). Therefore without these "newbs" picking up the sport and increasing revenue streams it would be a dying business model, right? Maybe he should be held financially responsible? OR maybe ikite should insure their sensors if its such an expensive , and important, asset to their business. I don't think this A$$hat has financially impacted Edscott or any windsurfers directly...
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

flippersurf
Contributor
Contributor

Post by flippersurf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Reading this thread beats reading most novels :)

Two quick "observations" (and I have been kiting Crissy for the last 7yrs):
- Riding a TT at Crissy does not mean you're a rookie, incompetent, or even irresponsible. I actually always use a TT because I am predominantly a freestyle rider. And I dare to say that I can ride a surfboard (strapless) much better than some of the folks who will despise freestyle riders, so pipe down ya'll. (forgive my arrogance ^^^ )
- I hear the windsurfers loud & clear and agree with their point-of-view, especially as it comes to safety. ROW, however, is so easy to signal (for BOTH constituencies!) and in my experience, crossings mostly happen with smiles and waves. Yes there is the occasional agro kite/wind-surfer, but really they are an exception we're better off ignoring (including those who take their rants into forums).

(PS - I have been saved by the CG as well and would be 100% in favor of a fee or mandatory contribution). I actually donated the proceeds from selling my old kites 3-4yrs ago and only some CG station in Boston accepted it, bummer. Maybe we can self-organize, create a fund, and with some soft peer pressure make sure we collect from those who get fished out of the water :)

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:36 pm

https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/8777/ ... e_KEY=7204

The Coast Guard Foundation is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of the men and women of the Coast Guard and their families. Founded more than 40 years ago, the Coast Guard Foundation provides education, support and relief for the brave men and women, who enforce maritime law, protect our homeland and preserve the environment. The Coast Guard Foundation aims to strengthen their service to our nation by encouraging them to excel on- and off-duty.

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Tony Soprano wrote:...
A VOICE FROM THE GRAVE!!!!

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Looks like it's back on. 8)
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Yes, They were out there fixing it this morning.

Listen about last Saturday , Three kite boarders were rescued out the Golden gate on the EBB tide.

When it is NW wind you need to be on the lookout for changing conditions as it can shut down on the north tower side...that is what happened they sailed into a fluky wind line and then it shut off and there kites fell out of the sky and ebbed out with the current. Going out the gate and up to the North tower is were your situational awareness is key.

So screwy wind that I did not go out.

This same type of setup last year caused eight sailors(windsurfers and Kite boarders) to be rescued out the gate and it made the news.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 pm

I've mentioned this before but I don't think the fact that veteran local windsurfers spend a lot of time riding in the area that I've highlighted in blue (bordered by the channel to the north and anita starred to the south) and the feeling that they seem to be much more reliably self-sufficient than the kiters at Crissy is coincidental
2013-06-27_12-17-07.png
2013-06-27_12-17-07.png (213.41KiB)Viewed 5907 times

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 am

It won't be long before kiters will need to pay a state registration fee and carry proof of insurance to cover liability and rescues.
The upside to regulation is that the citations for reckless kiting and KUI's will help balance the budget deficit!

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 am

what's all this talk about the coast guard rescuing too many kiters and weatherflow spending too much time and money fixing the sensor?

from my observation it looks like both parties were glad to jump in as soon as they could and remedy the situation.

i was rescued at crissy in my windsurf days. all the coasties said "this is what we do"

for weatherflow the repair may have been expensive but it is the cost of doing business. they've repaired many less popular sensors and continue to install and maintain more.

i hear the same thing at a lot of launch sites. "watch out, dude, if something bad happens this place will be shut down" i have yet to see a site shut down and there are more dangerous launch sites than crissy.

and what's with the windsurfers vs. kiters? it seems very one sided to me, mostly w/sers complaining about kiters. i witnessed a pretty bad collision involving injuries near anita rock where the w/ser was totally at fault, trying to do a hero jibe inside without looking first . the same w/ser had cut me off on two different occasions the same season. that w/ser is very knowledgeable but chose to ignore row and common courtesy. he was not banned even though the police had to be called in to settle the situation on the beach.

it's pretty much the same as skiers vs snowboarders, skateboarders vs. inline skaters, surfers vs anyone in sight. can't we all just get along?