Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post by marinkiter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Sorry but I always felt that the individual (me) was responsible for getting the necessary knowledge to keep pace with my progression; Once I started going upwind I immediately realized that there was conflict resolution needed with other kiters and sailers. I went online (this is the age of the internet after all) and read that the kiter with his right hand forward has right of way. Pretty simple. I did not expect someone else to teach me this.

Before I launched at Crissy I read about the tidal effects and the wind shadows. I only launch and ride there when the tide is slack or a mild ebb, and when the wind isn't too south. I keep a vigilant eye on the wind line and if it starts to recede I and my TT make for shore in a wide arc around the shadow. It is up to ME to learn this stuff, and all the knowledge is at my fingertips.

If you have the money and competence and wherewithal to get trained and geared-up, then you have the ability to learn the rules of the road and the best practices for your chosen site(s) without signposts or special attention. I know I am most likely preaching to the choir here on this forum, and this is only my fourth season, but it seems like the last two years, there has been an almost exponential increase in kites in the air, at least where I am kiting, and a corresponding drop in courtesy and competence. Not sure we can continue to have these two things move away from each other and stay sustainable at our most frequented spots.

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:23 am

I don't want to turn this into a big argument about who should have the right of way, but... Doesn't it make more sense regarding kiters that the upwind guy should have the right of way regardless? It's much easier for the downwind guy to bear off downwind and it's also better in the case where there is a lull and the upwind guy needs to turn downwind and dive his kite to maintain a plane.

But yeah, in general it would be nice if everyone would be just a little more thoughtful and make course adjustments sooner instead of playing chicken all the time. Asserting the right of way rules and heading straight for another rider just makes you a jerk regardless.

It's a losing battle though. Everyone is becoming more and more inconsiderate and self-righteous year after year. I'm just glad that it's impossible to text on a smartphone while kiting.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am

Thor, if the person on port tack is upwind of a rider on starboard tack, it shouldn't really matter who has the right of way because their paths shouldn't cross. As soon as it becomes apparent that paths will cross, there really shouldn't be anybody who is more upwind of the other so starboard should maintain course and raise their kite while port should turn downwind and drop their kite.

This is all assuming a beam to close reach course, as it probably gets a lot trickier when dealing with broad reach to running, but in those cases I'd assume the upwind rider running downwind should adjust their course regardless of hand forward, simply because it's easier than the rider on a close reach trying to gain upwind momentum; I'm sure race rules would say otherwise. Most importantly, I always signal my intent when it appears I'm dealing with someone unfamiliar with, or just an asshole about ROW rules.

I also mostly give windsurfers the upwind position because they don't have lines directly downwind to deal with and if something suddenly goes haywire (crash or line breaks) as we pass, I'm going to put them in instant danger. But, when giving up your ROW, you must signal your intended course and stick to it.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:29 pm

There are a couple topics that can create complete thread tangents on here and right of way is definitely one of my favorite

JRaut
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JRaut » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 pm

If you just always stay on starboard tack to leeward of everyone else, you never need to worry about ROW rules!

(Except for that big tanker barreling down on you.)

J

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:36 pm

I do feel that if you are genuinely having an awesome time, smile and wave at the person you're tacking against, that 95% of the time people treat you awesome back. sounds lame but on the water shit like that goes a long way, regardless of talent. Just throw the ol shaka sign if some douche gets out of line. It is situational though, just cause your right hand is forward doesn't give you the ROW all the time.

this is a good article I found on the NW kite forum.

http://www.boardheadinternational.com/t ... front.html
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Aloha wrote:There are a couple topics that can create complete thread tangents on here and right of way is definitely one of my favorite
I don't know Phil, the "should I use a leash in the surf" or "can I mix match bar and kites" or the classic "I'm learning to ride a directional, should I go with straps or directly strapless?"
They all have a special place in my heart...
Now be nice, and pass me the popcorn.

But back on the subject: does anybody even know the guy or was he a simple tourist?
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Also, when it comes to ROW, if you are wearing a helmet with a GoPro on it and have a GoJoe on your board, I will always make sure to stay clear of your path. :mrgreen:

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 pm

le noun wrote:Also, when it comes to ROW, if you are wearing a helmet with a GoPro on it and have a GoJoe on your board, I will always make sure to stay clear of your path. :mrgreen:
You must have a tough time getting anywhere at 3rd.......

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

ozchrisb wrote:
le noun wrote:Also, when it comes to ROW, if you are wearing a helmet with a GoPro on it and have a GoJoe on your board, I will always make sure to stay clear of your path. :mrgreen:
You must have a tough time getting anywhere at 3rd.......
Just shoot straight for the channel. ###