ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: CRISSY/ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post by ino » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 pm

This education should help to prevent future problems. 9 to 1 for safety.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (442.74KiB)Viewed 1487 times

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 am

ino lol learned to kite on youtube
much luv bro KK((

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post by guidoz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 am

Sonny wrote:
tanker223 wrote:
guidoz wrote:I couldn't agree more! Firefighters at Alameda have much to make up for. They have been a bad joke in the past! Should I ever be lost in the middle of the bay, I will pray for the coast guard, and please please not the completely incompetent Alameda firefighters!
Actually- The firefighters tried to respond: they were instructed not to enter the water by their administration after the City of Alameda cut the funding to their H2O rescue program. Why an island doesn't need a water rescue contingent is beyond me, but there you go. And when faced with losing their jobs to rescue a guy who is standing up in the water, I'm not sure any of us would have gone in?
I think Alameda fire department is being portrait incorrectly. After all, the guy was trying to commit suicide and didn't want help and didn't need help.

actually I don''t think so. A close friend of mine was there and tried to talk to the firefighters, he also talked to the guy in the water. He can tell the story first hand. And the result is much more outrages than any of us could have imagined. The firefighters are complete idiots. They brought shame on their department imo. I am not saying they are all the same, but the ones that were there that day are beyond incompetent. The fact that they tried to push responsibility away later once the media was on it, makes it just even more ridiculous. The guy in the water was standing right in front of them. You could walk over to him in one minute. And all these firefighters were just standing there watching. cheeez.....

turbinedude
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by turbinedude » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 am

NJ** .> :happy-bouncymulticolor:
:character-afropik: Does anyone know if this kitesurfer was a beginner?
Did he do all he could to self rescue?
Was water pulling out?
Was the little wind that was there blowning inland?

(*tt
I have been kiting for some years at several locations I have never required a rescue outside of what I could do myself. II&& II&& II&& II&& II&& II&& II&&
One time my kite went down around the Oceanside Pier. I had my biggest kite up and was riding pretty near to the bottom threshold of what is ridable on a twin tip. Basically I had to go downwind just to ride. After tacking past the pier and moving back towards the beach, :greetings-clappingorange: :happy-cheerleaderkid: the huge wind shadow from the pier disrupted what little wind I had to ride, downing my kite. Even after getting out of the wind shadow, I still could not get the kite up and a ocean patrol boat came out to me full of good-hearted intended coast gaurds. I chatted with them as I was reeling in my lines and swimming to my kite. SS$$ SS$$ One thing I said was that "Kiteboarders are self-reliant". \ \ \
They continued on their way as I just chilled out and let the swells pull me back in.
The entire time I was in control of the situation.
Another time while I was teaching myself how to fly kites on a 98 seakite 9m2 Naish I got pick up 10 feet into the air and supermanned 20 feet across the sand whereupon landing I popped my leg out of its socket while landing (seeing a small shadow on the ground of my body verifies the height numbers). Someone did help me roll up my kite before I hubbled with all my gear to my car and with my leg popping out of its socket everytime I walked on it. I drove to the hospital in a manual vehicle and preceded not to kite for a year and a half. :o :o
Reflecting back on the first occasion, at the time I felt I could sail past the pier and had a plan B for recovery in the event something went sour as it did.

Nonetheless, I still feel like this may have been a disservice to kiteboarders because some else could have been in a similar situation but lost control of it. And if the coast guard did not come out to them then something irreversibly awful could occur.
!$*( !$*(
The coast guard gets paid by US to protect the coast and rescue people in life-threatening situations. Having them occasionally rescue some one is a good thing.
This is their duty.
Normal surfers know all about this. ^^
If it gets to the point where this is ridiculous because people abuse this then they may get fed up with it and try to slam the hammer down. The problem with this is that still won't be able to stop kiteboarders and everything will turn into a huge mess. :law-policered: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-plasma: :violence-ripper: :violence-rocket: :violence-rapidfire:
Bottom line is some one needs to develop a reliable system to alert authorities if they need help. If after attempting '?'? to try to get back onshore for a half an hour and you are farther out in the water than in and you have no plan C or D, then plan E should be to actively seek outside help.
Plan F - I am fucked and I hope some one friendly :character-daphne: sees `~` and saves me is not very smart (Unless it's daphne).
Plan M - S*urf I am so fucked only a miracle could save me means a tsunami hit and no one is going to save you and you should start praying for your Mom. S*urf
Plan S - My life is so shitty that I am giving up and am going to commit suicide is actually a great plan because you will probably realize your life is worth something if you can actually get a kite in the air to enact plan S. *ju# *ju#
Plan P - Go see your psychiatrist if plan S is an option. :character-beavisbutthead:
Plan U - Relying on UFOs to pick you up is not a very feasible plan. :character-afropik: :sci-fi-beamup:
Plan G - Relying on the government to pick you up in a submarine would blow the cover of the submarine and would probably not be taken unless you are 007 :violence-duel:
Plan X - This plan is not for public disclosure. :character-blues:
Plan Y - This plan is completely classified. :happy-smileyinthebox:
Plan Z - This plan would open a worm hole in fabric of space and time and you may end up in another dimension where kites no longer abide by the rules of the universe :character-yoshi:
JU^^ :greetings-cya:
Plan Aa - Premium Kite Insurance Service
Plan H - Kiting in Beauford 8 conditions is a bad plan S*urf *bg& S*urf *bg&

In addition kiteboarders need to realize they need to exercise extreme caution when in situations that have variables out of there control such as cars, freighters, or jets __ passing by or 1/2 mile worth of water b/ you and dry land. It is probably not very smart to bust out more than lap distance away from dry land hence why people like to bust out closer to dry land. In sketch situations where your body could get sent into undesirable objects like during most places you launch from short of a place with nice clearance of sand your hand should be on your cutaway.

))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:19 pm

I remember a rescue many years ago windsurfing at Palo Alto when the wind died suddenly and many folks (my girlfriend and I included) were washed way downwind. We started swimming back and someone on shore called 911 and the PAFD showed up with a boat. Turns out it hadn't been started in a long time and was out of gas. Several folks made it back to shore before they finally got out and they came to me but I pointed to others that were further downwind. They rescued my girlfriend and another girl and put them in ambulances to get out of their cold wetsuits and warm up. I remember watching my girlfriend strip through the ambulance window (she was never shy) with a firefighter in there to help her and make sure she was OK.

FT&^ They may not be so dumb after all...

ianwallace14
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ianwallace14 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Turbinedude, that is quite possibly, most assuredly the most fantastically awesome use of smilies ever. I am nominating this as the best post ever.
turbinedude wrote:NJ** .> :happy-bouncymulticolor:
:character-afropik: Does anyone know if this kitesurfer was a beginner?
Did he do all he could to self rescue?
Was water pulling out?
Was the little wind that was there blowning inland?

(*tt
I have been kiting for some years at several locations I have never required a rescue outside of what I could do myself. II&& II&& II&& II&& II&& II&& II&&
One time my kite went down around the Oceanside Pier. I had my biggest kite up and was riding pretty near to the bottom threshold of what is ridable on a twin tip. Basically I had to go downwind just to ride. After tacking past the pier and moving back towards the beach, :greetings-clappingorange: :happy-cheerleaderkid: the huge wind shadow from the pier disrupted what little wind I had to ride, downing my kite. Even after getting out of the wind shadow, I still could not get the kite up and a ocean patrol boat came out to me full of good-hearted intended coast gaurds. I chatted with them as I was reeling in my lines and swimming to my kite. SS$$ SS$$ One thing I said was that "Kiteboarders are self-reliant". \ \ \
They continued on their way as I just chilled out and let the swells pull me back in.
The entire time I was in control of the situation.
Another time while I was teaching myself how to fly kites on a 98 seakite 9m2 Naish I got pick up 10 feet into the air and supermanned 20 feet across the sand whereupon landing I popped my leg out of its socket while landing (seeing a small shadow on the ground of my body verifies the height numbers). Someone did help me roll up my kite before I hubbled with all my gear to my car and with my leg popping out of its socket everytime I walked on it. I drove to the hospital in a manual vehicle and preceded not to kite for a year and a half. :o :o
Reflecting back on the first occasion, at the time I felt I could sail past the pier and had a plan B for recovery in the event something went sour as it did.

Nonetheless, I still feel like this may have been a disservice to kiteboarders because some else could have been in a similar situation but lost control of it. And if the coast guard did not come out to them then something irreversibly awful could occur.
!$*( !$*(
The coast guard gets paid by US to protect the coast and rescue people in life-threatening situations. Having them occasionally rescue some one is a good thing.
This is their duty.
Normal surfers know all about this. ^^
If it gets to the point where this is ridiculous because people abuse this then they may get fed up with it and try to slam the hammer down. The problem with this is that still won't be able to stop kiteboarders and everything will turn into a huge mess. :law-policered: :violence-pistoldouble: :violence-plasma: :violence-ripper: :violence-rocket: :violence-rapidfire:
Bottom line is some one needs to develop a reliable system to alert authorities if they need help. If after attempting '?'? to try to get back onshore for a half an hour and you are farther out in the water than in and you have no plan C or D, then plan E should be to actively seek outside help.
Plan F - I am fucked and I hope some one friendly :character-daphne: sees `~` and saves me is not very smart (Unless it's daphne).
Plan M - S*urf I am so fucked only a miracle could save me means a tsunami hit and no one is going to save you and you should start praying for your Mom. S*urf
Plan S - My life is so shitty that I am giving up and am going to commit suicide is actually a great plan because you will probably realize your life is worth something if you can actually get a kite in the air to enact plan S. *ju# *ju#
Plan P - Go see your psychiatrist if plan S is an option. :character-beavisbutthead:
Plan U - Relying on UFOs to pick you up is not a very feasible plan. :character-afropik: :sci-fi-beamup:
Plan G - Relying on the government to pick you up in a submarine would blow the cover of the submarine and would probably not be taken unless you are 007 :violence-duel:
Plan X - This plan is not for public disclosure. :character-blues:
Plan Y - This plan is completely classified. :happy-smileyinthebox:
Plan Z - This plan would open a worm hole in fabric of space and time and you may end up in another dimension where kites no longer abide by the rules of the universe :character-yoshi:
JU^^ :greetings-cya:
Plan Aa - Premium Kite Insurance Service
Plan H - Kiting in Beauford 8 conditions is a bad plan S*urf *bg& S*urf *bg&

In addition kiteboarders need to realize they need to exercise extreme caution when in situations that have variables out of there control such as cars, freighters, or jets __ passing by or 1/2 mile worth of water b/ you and dry land. It is probably not very smart to bust out more than lap distance away from dry land hence why people like to bust out closer to dry land. In sketch situations where your body could get sent into undesirable objects like during most places you launch from short of a place with nice clearance of sand your hand should be on your cutaway.

))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM ))MM