Check your chicken loop quick release

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderators: BayAreaKite, WindMuch

Re: Check your chicken loop quick release

Postby WindMuch » Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm

jwest21 wrote:+1 for F-one bar, it may seem old school but I have no worries of sand or ice messing with my release.


I'm curious about the F-One bar - is it an issue that the release is only easily available on one side of the chicken loop?
User avatar
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 pm
Location: Oakland

Re: Check your chicken loop quick release

Postby yojimbo » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 pm

It is a 2012 Switch Bar. I will be testing the QR on my CL before I go out from now on.

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.
yojimbo
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: sonoma

Re: Check your chicken loop quick release

Postby sanjose_kiter » Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Go to home depot and ask for teflon based dry lubricant.
That 's what i used to lube the pulleys on my kites which are often caked with sands
sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Check your chicken loop quick release

Postby le noun » Sat May 18, 2013 1:43 am

WindMuch wrote:
jwest21 wrote:+1 for F-one bar, it may seem old school but I have no worries of sand or ice messing with my release.


I'm curious about the F-One bar - is it an issue that the release is only easily available on one side of the chicken loop?


Never been for me. Left handed: put it on the left. Right handed: put it on the right.
The dumbest arguments I've heard against this system were:
1) "It's velcro, so the more you use it the less it's gonna work". I'm sorry, but the straps on my board are velcro as well, I use them a lot more than my safety and they still work great. Never had the safety not working on me since it's a sand free system nor I ever had the chicken loop popping open on me (which have seen with other systems).
2) "Well, since it's only on one side, what if your right arm is wrapped in your lines and your safety is set on the right side"?
Again, a dumb argument: if I'm gift-wrapped in my lines, pulling my safety won't help. Using a knife to cut my lines will.

I think most people against it are people who never used it and don't like the "simple" look of it because it's velcro. But like Jwest said: it's sand proof and freeze proof. {_
Kites: 2014 F-One Bandit VII: 12m, 10m and 8m. All pink/blue.
Board: 2014 F-One Spicy & 5'6 Fish.
Harness: Manera Exoharness.
Wetsuit: Underwave Sultan shortleg 4/3.
User avatar
le noun
Old School
Old School
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 11:12 am

2010-2011 F-One Bandit4 chicken loop recall

Postby sflinux » Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 am

User avatar
sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:02 pm
Location: ocean beach

Re: Check your chicken loop quick release

Postby le noun » Sat May 18, 2013 10:57 am

That had to do with the system being a handle instead of a loop.
Nothing with the system not working.
And fone changed it for free right away. :mrgreen:
Kites: 2014 F-One Bandit VII: 12m, 10m and 8m. All pink/blue.
Board: 2014 F-One Spicy & 5'6 Fish.
Harness: Manera Exoharness.
Wetsuit: Underwave Sultan shortleg 4/3.
User avatar
le noun
Old School
Old School
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Check your chicken loop quick release

Postby jwest21 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

sanjose_kiter wrote:Go to home depot and ask for teflon based dry lubricant.
That 's what i used to lube the pulleys on my kites which are often caked with sands


Please don't add any more teflon to our water. It's bad enough that every snowboarder is scraping teflon wax (plug for Purl wax, super eco-amazing) off into our snow that turns into drinking water. I say snowboarder cause I'm convinced that skiers never wax their bases.

le noun wrote:
WindMuch wrote:
jwest21 wrote:+1 for F-one bar, it may seem old school but I have no worries of sand or ice messing with my release.


I'm curious about the F-One bar - is it an issue that the release is only easily available on one side of the chicken loop?


Never been for me. Left handed: put it on the left. Right handed: put it on the right.
The dumbest arguments I've heard against this system were:
1) "It's velcro, so the more you use it the less it's gonna work". I'm sorry, but the straps on my board are velcro as well, I use them a lot more than my safety and they still work great. Never had the safety not working on me since it's a sand free system nor I ever had the chicken loop popping open on me (which have seen with other systems).
2) "Well, since it's only on one side, what if your right arm is wrapped in your lines and your safety is set on the right side"?
Again, a dumb argument: if I'm gift-wrapped in my lines, pulling my safety won't help. Using a knife to cut my lines will.

I think most people against it are people who never used it and don't like the "simple" look of it because it's velcro. But like Jwest said: it's sand proof and freeze proof. {_


Pretty much covered it there, thanks Le Noun. I also have maybe released my safety on this bar twice for practice, and usually just take the loop off in self rescue situations.

It did get me thinking though, "What if you hurt your dominant hand and releasing the safety would be helpful, can it be done?" I literally just went to my garage, threw on my harness and tied my bar up to a door handle. Releasing on the right with my left hand is no problem at all.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein
User avatar
jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:12 am
Location: San Francisco

Previous

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests