Alameda Police/Fire dept calls

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windhorny
Old School
Old School
Alameda Police/Fire dept calls

Post by windhorny » Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 pm

ever since that guy committed suicide last year the fire dept has been training to rescue via boat. That's great but since a good percentage of the alameda kiters are just learning, the sirens have been going off constantly here! I'm pretty sure there is 1 old lady calling most of these in as they are almost all false alrams. I just counted 16 firemen and police standing on the beach. It really frustrates me to see all that tax dollar go toward some old lady calling in a self rescue or a kite resting on the water. As you cant ask the fire dept to not call, and this old lady clearly has nothing better to do with her time, I think the only answer is to just STOP KITING SO FAR DOWN THE BEACH. If you are reading this and learning, get off the water about a mile up, roll your kite up and start walking. it's not fair to everyone else that your lack of skills costs the city so much money. This guy thats floating out there now is basically in the bird sanctuary. he should never have got that far down to begin with. Something has to change here.

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm

+1

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Alameda Police/Fire dept calls

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 pm

IMHO have the SFBA liason with the FD and follow up on who is calling.

Also suggest you have volunter site stewards taking turns briefing people on the conditions and protocals for this location.

We just had this at Crissy a few days ago, a kiter lost his board and body dragged in safe but someone called 911 from the promenade it was a huge emergency responce...a total drag.

Today someone squeaked past me during the kite races today at crissy having never sailed there before and could not stay up wind and was kooking it real bad...I was able to get a race support boat on him or he would have needed the CG.

We all need to step it up looking after sailors new to a location, etc. Sometimes this means telling them to not go out for the given weather/tide conditions.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Firemen and cops love the drama in Alameda. Good for them, newbies too :mrgreen:

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Jeff in follow-up to your post I have noticed that the increase in % of riders on raceboards at Crissy is creating a false positive "it's ride-able" signal for a lot of the kiters who are not regulars at the spot that may be showing up.

People coming to Crissy must note that just because there may be a ton of kites on the water it doesn't necessarily mean the conditions are as straightforward as they look. Please ask the locals for tide/current/condition advice before you head out, bring your radio & be safe out there you are a very tiny vessel on a very big freeway! :] XZSD

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kandrey89 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm

And how are you supposed to figure out who's a local and who's another kook like you? #-o

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Thu May 16, 2013 11:23 pm

The locals hang out in the peanut gallery - all kidding aside, when I am at a new spot, I just simply start talking to the kiters on the beach.
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am

kandrey89 wrote:And how are you supposed to figure out who's a local and who's another kook like you? #-o
In the case of crissy, if somebody is coming back to shore without swimming when the inside is glassy, then talk to him/her. :mrgreen:
But like kitedancer said, just ask nicely to a bunch of different people and then wait a little and observe.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Fri May 17, 2013 11:47 am

Was there a red and white kite dangling on the post yesterday for a while in Hamid a. By the safe and legal launch zone?
thought I saw something but I m not sure. Wonder if anyone else have seen it. Maybe thats why the called the cops?

Overall such great last few days riding. ~~~

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri May 17, 2013 12:43 pm

don't you get a citation of some sort after so many FALSE alarms? i bet you once cited she won't call again =*