Slingshot RPM and/or Rally?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
lowf
Joey
Joey
Slingshot RPM and/or Rally?

Post by lowf » Sun May 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for some advise for new kites to buy this year.

I am 6'5", 198lbs. I ride on either a 137TT (probably need bigger..) and a 5'2" kite surfboard. I am a beginner/intermediate rider, when the wind is steady and strong enough I can go up wind fine, however I have been having a lot of trouble in gusty conditions where I find I'm just not powered enough on my 12m Ocean Rodeo Rise. When the wind is up it feels great, maybe even over powered (though I bet that is more technique than the kite), but as soon as it drops below a consistant 17mph I start to struggle.

I have been looking at the 2012 Slingshot RPM and Rally lines. From what I can tell based on reviews and a few posts on kiteforum, 10m and below RPM is better, 12-14m Rally is the better feel. I'm debating looking for a 14m Rally to get me out in anything "kiteable", and maybe getting a 10m RPM for the days that are actually consistant 20+.

What do people think? I'm also open to other suggestions, just landed on these first..

Also, what do you think a good condition 2012 14m Rally and a 2012 10m RPM should be going for in good condition used?

Thanks everyone!

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Slingshot RPM and/or Rally?

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I think it would make more sense to get a proper light wind board than changing the 12m Rise to a 14m Rally. I have the 12m Rise too and it's pretty surprising how little wind is needed to stay upwind on my Underground Kipuna Fish (5'10''). Sure, if money doesn't matter then get the 14m Rally too, but a good light wind board is more important in these marginal winds.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sun May 05, 2013 10:28 pm

TomAUSTRIA wrote:a good light wind board is more important in these marginal winds.
agreed.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

lowf
Joey
Joey

Post by lowf » Mon May 06, 2013 7:11 am

TomAUSTRIA wrote:a good light wind board is more important in these marginal winds.
5'2" Surfboard doesn't count? I guess my reasoning for thinking kites first was that on the days I have trouble, there seems to be plenty of people going fine on their twintips still. Now I'm sure a lot of that could be fixed with technique, but I could use a little help while I'm still picking it up.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon May 06, 2013 8:02 am

5'2" is a pretty small board. I definitely wouldn't purchase an RPM for any "upwind" ability.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

troybo13
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by troybo13 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 am

I have a 2011 14m RPM for sale complete with 23x27 bar for $600 or B/O in very good condition. The RPM is an excellent light wind kite because is fast for its size and three struts makes it light enough to fly in 12 mph conditions. I have had two 14m RPM's and they were what I learned on. A new 14m is almost $2000.
Moved from Hilton Head Island, SC to Bay Area
Slingshot Asylum 138
SS RPM 12m, 10m, 8m

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue May 07, 2013 10:02 am

dude. your twintip AND your surfboard are wayy too small. twintip wise, you should be on at least like, a 142x43 and surfboard a 5'10" is probably the minimum for someone your size.

for reference, i'm 160lb and I'm on a 138....

and then you didn't even tell us what kind of TT you have. if it's something with a ton of rocker (like a cab custom or LF DLX) it's going to be even worse for upwind.

so, here's my advice. you're riding the wrong boards. fix the board problem first. then, look into new kites.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

lowf
Joey
Joey

Post by lowf » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am

Good to know, thanks for all the replies and advice so far! I bought all my gear used first time around, and was working off what people told me where I was living at the time.

I'll probably look to get a twintip first, any suggestions for what I should be looking for in that? or just > 142x43. Wood core vs other?

I know this is a pretty open question, but there are just so many damn boards out there, not even sure where to start..

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 pm

I have to second the point about the RPM not being the kite to go with if you're looking to do better going upwind. I ride Rallys.

The RPM is not "fast for it's size" in any size, it is a slow turning kite ("stable") with a heavy constant pull.

Rallys of all sizes are faster than RPMs of the same size and go upwind better, although in smaller sizes (6,4) some people might say they turn too fast. They are also much more forgiving kites(better depower) which is why they are good both for beginners and for wave riding.

No one else here has mentioned that getting a bigger kite is NOT going to help you go upwind if you are still working on your skills. A bigger kite, especially one like the RPM, is simply going to pull you downwind harder and make it more difficult to go upwind.

In the end you might decide to get a 14 (get a Rally), but fix the board problem first and work on your abilities.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 am

lowf wrote:I'll probably look to get a twintip first, any suggestions for what I should be looking for in that? or just > 142x43. Wood core vs other?
I'm not a fan of naming specific boards you should buy because, we all have our allegiances and I'll let you make your own decisions.

That said, you want something reasonably flat. A high rockered board (like the best profanity, cab custom, LF DLX) is not what you want. stick with something flatter which will help your upwind and be more efficient, so something like the cab caliber, LF element, and any other brand's lightwind ish board.

as for core, most brands have a wood core which is good for flex. Just be careful you don't get something super flexy and soft, as you're a bigger guy, the extra flex will make it noodly and hurt your upwind a bit. softer flex is better for lighter riders or folks with really bad knees.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets