Upwind from 3rd to Coyote Point

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
steve
Regular
Regular
Re: Upwind from 3rd to Coyote Point

Post by steve » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 pm

imo, that's not a safe launch...launch just downwind of the power lines
steve

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 am

le noun wrote:
tocayo wrote:@kitet - im assuming you mean don't go in low tide? I know there are a bunch of rocks up once you get around the harbor.
He means: do it when it's max ebb, it helps. :wink:
Yes. One time, I think I got up to Coyote in about 30-40min. Max ebb, directional, and a kite designed to fly well upwind. In the right conditions, it's super easy to get there, but I much rather do a downwinder like Ramsey just did.

Speaking of downwinders... Has anyone tried going under the SM bridge and land at the small beach in Foster City (or maybe the other way around on S winds)?

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 am

le noun wrote:
tocayo wrote:@kitet - im assuming you mean don't go in low tide? I know there are a bunch of rocks up once you get around the harbor.
He means: do it when it's max ebb, it helps. :wink:
Yes. One time, I think I got up to Coyote in about 30-40min. Max ebb, directional, and a kite designed to fly well upwind. In the right conditions, it's super easy to get there, but I much rather do a downwinder like Ramsey just did.

Speaking of downwinders... Has anyone tried going under the SM bridge and land at the small beach in Foster City (or maybe the other way around on S winds)?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 pm

steve wrote:imo, that's not a safe launch...launch just downwind of the power lines
steve
Never had an issue launching at the shack at coyote.
Trick is: when walking toward the water, spend the least amount of time with your kite parked over the rocks: the wind bounce up the rocks, push your kite out of the wind window and your kite ends up falling.
So just launch and quickly walk to the water (which should be the case anywhere you go anyway, I don't see the point of having your kite up and standing on the beach...).
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Le Noun:
I'm happy that you have figured out the trick to launch from the grass area at Coyote, and that you have not had any issues. However, that doesn't make is a safe place to launch.

imo, the most dangerous part of kiting is the launch and then the landing on or near hard objects.

At Coyote, there is a large cinder block building that can come into play. Additionally, one must walk over a black top walk/bike path where people seem to gather/pass, and lastly one much walk down thru the rock wall over a sand bagged ramp. Once a rider gets to the water, they need to stay out of the "swim" area that is immeditely down wind.

Launching on the "beach" just downwind of the towers at lower tides is the only safe location to lauch at Coyote.
steve

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Yea Le noun what are you thinking??
My car is also in the parking lot just west of the grass and I don't wanna see you put your kite anywhere near my carbon hood scoop.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

I think that's why coyote is not considered as a beginner friendly location.
I find the wind at the shack A lot more consistent than where the towers are.
I mean, you have to go through a path of trees and bushes at sherman island and I don't see why it would be more kite friendly than coyote.
But it's just my opinion.
Definitely not a beginner launch at the towers NOR at the shack in any case. :wink:

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by loserdavies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:40 pm

I rode from upper launch at 3rd to just inside the red zone at SF airport. Best to do on a SW wind day and you can shoot right up there. took about and hour. Not a huge fan of distance kiting but I was bored and wanted to see how far I could go. Always wanted to ride to AT&T park from 3rd but that would be a long day. Bet you'd get on camera if the Giants were playing though. Maybe JM would mention you on the radio. LOL

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Speaking of coyote, it was awesome today. Warm and windy. {_

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Just got back from my 3rd -> Coyote -> back upwinder, decided to do it on a whim. Lessons learned:

- I wasn't exactly trucking upwind, took about 90 minutes to get there. I was on a 10m with a 132cm TT board. Next time I'd rig something that upwinds better

- there are tons of little "microlocations" along the way - places with swell, places with butter, places where the kickers face you in the opposite direction, occasional sharp wind lines

- more wildlife, for people who are into that

- coyote definitely seems like a shitty place to launch, but a fun and scenic place to ride. Only three kiters, too, lots of space