Learning How to Rescue a Board (or Kite)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident
Re: Learning How to Rescue a Board (or Kite)

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:34 pm

nick_80044 wrote:Lots of interesting approaches here--thanks for the feedback.

One thing I don't think really got answered, though: Is this something you just started to *do*? If so, you're far more naturally talented than me. OR, is it something you had to *practice* before you became completely comfortable with plucking errant boards from the surf and speedily delivering them to their destination? In which case, I'd love to know some of your practice tips. :-)
its does take practice. back in the day my good friend, who is a badass kiter, delivered a board to someone using these steps http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2010/06/o ... ecoveries/ I expected him to be all fancy and shit about his board rescue but he took his time and executed the plan flawless, being the good friend I am I copied his move and executed it by the end of the session. its nice to ride with people better than you if you can. don't try to do some other move like balance it on the chicken loop or tie it off, you can hurt yourself or damage someone else's board. do the lap move and tuck it into your arm, if you can't do it you probably need to work on one handed riding. ALSO don't rescue someone's board until you know who's it is. I've seen people rescue boards and bring them to the beach while the kiter is still in the water searching for his board. some people don't want help.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Looks like we might have a coast day at Alameda on Sunday so you should get a few chances to practice

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 pm

NCKite_Ryder wrote:its does take practice. back in the day my good friend, who is a badass kiter, delivered a board to someone using these steps http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2010/06/o ... ecoveries/ I expected him to be all fancy and shit about his board rescue but he took his time and executed the plan flawless, being the good friend I am I copied his move and executed it by the end of the session.
That is very helpful! I read over the steps and yeah, it looks like a practice session or two is in order. Thanks!

SFPete
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by SFPete » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:06 am

Good kiting citizens, all of ya.

acctx
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acctx » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 am

I rescued a board once by tying my kite leash to a footstrap. The board was mostly out of the water so wouldnt pearl under the water. I tried to pick it up but couldnt fly the kite well enough with one hand. The link above seemed doable so I would try that next time.

salthouse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by salthouse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:01 pm

I rescued my own surfboard today at Tomales in 35++ The coast guard was hanging out at the mouth for good measure so you know it was windy enough for them to even take a look. I've lost this board twice, once at Crissy and now at Tomales. So to make a long story longer, I stuff'd it on a pretty good size wave and then got yard'd about another 15feet or so. I know from experience the board was behind me and I was right. ""Come to papa" I had that board in my hand but it got away. I had know Idea where it was. I Body dragged this way and then the other. No Luck.
I body dragged all the way back to the beach and self landed the kite. I figured it would wash up somewhere. After three times walking up and down that beach I finally found it. At the very last spit of land by the mouth like some mermaid laid it there for me. the Morel of this story is don't give up looking, walk all the way to the end, and buy yourself a six pack man. FFF Yeeeaaa!!!
see ya next saturday

peta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peta » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi Nick, there is a good article in iksurfmag see link below:
http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue20/?t=Boa ... ue&page=93

Cheers,
Peter

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm

peta wrote:Hi Nick, there is a good article in iksurfmag see link below:
http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue20/?t=Boa ... ue&page=93

Cheers,
Peter
Looks great--thanks, Peter!

Ironic that we've been having this discussion the past few days. I was riding at Alameda today and a loose kite went tumbling past. I was tempted to take a stab at retrieving it but it was gusty, I was a little overpowered, I couldn't tell if lines were involved, and there was no one else close by to back me up except a couple of newbies. All this, combined with my complete lack of experience, made me back off. Hopefully, the kite landed somewhere along Bay Farm Island and the owner was able to retrieve it.

If I would've known I would be faced with this situation, I would've done a little more to prepare. :"*!

gtilde
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gtilde » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Good timing for this thread.
I had my release valve pop open at third yesterday, and gave Blake (thanks again!) his first boarder rescue/drag in experience. Considering the wind speed and gustiness he did a damn fine job coming up from downwind, and his extending an arm was great as it connected us instantly. Thinking about it, it also provides rescuer with control to back off if something isnt right(ie panicked kook rescue with lines all over). Worth considering if you are in a boarder rescue situation, it could save many passes/misses, or even your arse.
I can say swimming in would have been an effing huge and drawn out pita, especially because I forgot to pinch off my struts and was carrying an 8m sea anchor with me. I definitely would have missed out on that second session.

Lesson # 428. REMEMBER TO PINCH OFF YOUR STRUTS BEFORE HEADING OUT.
rescue tip #43. GRAB ARMS TO ESTABLISH CONNECTION,RESCUER IN CONTROL

gtilde
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gtilde » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Good timing for this thread. Perhaps add kiter to the the title.
I had my release valve pop open at third yesterday, and gave Blake (thanks again!) his first boarder rescue/drag in experience. Considering the wind speed and gustiness he did a damn fine job coming up from downwind, and his extending an arm was great as it connected us instantly. Thinking about it, it also provides rescuer with control to back off if something isnt right(ie panicked kook rescue with lines all over). Worth considering if you are in a boarder rescue situation, it could save many passes/misses, or even your arse.
I can say swimming in would have been an effing huge and drawn out pita, especially because I forgot to pinch off my struts and was carrying an 8m sea anchor with me. I definitely would ha
ve missed out on that second session.

Lesson # 428. REMEMBER TO PINCH OFF YOUR STRUTS BEFORE HEADING OUT.
rescue tip #43. GRAB ARM lS TO ESTABLISH CONNECTION,RESCUER IN CONTROL