Surfboard to learn Jibing

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Surfboard to learn Jibing

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 am

your problem is location. go out in the ocean and ride until you see a dolphin .... that was a dolphin right? ... yea, yea it was a dolphin ... but then again ...

then jibe. you're 'bound to nail it.

Olivier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Olivier » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:39 am

@Kitenaked - I can ride toeside (difficulty to go upwind though). I tried swapping foot position before and after the jibe. Doesn't change much.
I watched good video like this one:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... deo#p78026
Countless time. I really think my board is too small to learn jibing.

I like the idea of using a regular surfboard as I need one anyway to go surfing couple days a year (I suck at surfing but still like it).
Looking around various forum archive, it seems that the best would be a Fish shape?

Another solution is perhaps those Slingshot boards on sales (Tyrant or Verve):
http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/Slingshot_c56.htm

Would that work?

/Olivier

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

That board doesn't sound unreasonably small for your size. I am sure it is more of a technique problem. Make sure you are powered up as the kite will hold your weight when switching your feet. Strapless is also better for multiple reasons besides learning to jibe.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Olivier wrote: I like the idea of using a regular surfboard as I need one anyway to go surfing couple days a year (I suck at surfing but still like it).
Looking around various forum archive, it seems that the best would be a Fish shape?
imho the fish shape is meant to be short. people try to sell big fish shapes but they're really a worst-of-both-worlds combo between a fish and a long-board. a fish longer than 5'10" would be awkward at your weight. if you want something you can paddle and kite: use a fish shape if shorter than 6', or a standard short-board shape up to 6'6"ish or an egg shape if longer than that.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm

Someone here on BAK provided a tip a while back which really helped me make (more of) my jibes:

"Don't look at your feet or the board."

Dunno why, but that one pointer made a huge difference for me.

Kirk out

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm

If you surf at all, you already know which is your strong side. That's important to figure out, since you'll be more comfortable doing your jibe heelside or toeside on alternate tacks depending on whether you're regular or goofy.

I'm regular (left foot forward) when riding a wave. For most folks, the dominant foot is the one that is in the back, as it's the one you steer with. Same thing applies for snowboarding.

For somebody who's regular, when you're on port tack, you can hit the jibe without repositioning your feet......start carving by shifting to toes....get that good carve all the way through the turn......then continue riding toeside out of the turn, or re-position your feet. Try to keep planing and keep the kite powered......quick footwork when powered is easier than depowering the kite and doing a shuffle (I think, some disagree when learning).

If you keep riding on starboard toeside, you don't need to reposition your feet....carve through the next turn by shifting to heels. A good downwinder doing S turns sining the kite back and forth will get you the feel for it quick.

If you have changed foot position after your last turn, I find it easier to change back to a toeside position prior to doing the next turn.....ie port tack, carve and change, starboard, change and carve. Jibing on a directional for a regular foot should be done with your left foot forward, as it maximizes the control and power you can apply.

Everybody's different and some folks are ambidextrous and can do everything just as easily switch.....some people are comfortable going both ways.

It's easier to learn this without straps.....as it's just one less thing to worry about.

The beauty of jibing this way is the carve......so it's best to learn how to do it keeping the power on......take the power off and you have less chance of planing through the turn.

Carving.....it's all about carving.......

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:32 pm

WindMuch wrote:Someone here on BAK provided a tip a while back which really helped me make (more of) my jibes:

"Don't look at your feet or the board."

Dunno why, but that one pointer made a huge difference for me.

Kirk out
I was told something similar, that went along the lines of, "If you find yourself falling over in front of your board, stop looking at your feet; if you're falling over backwards, behind your board, stop looking at your kite."
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

SFPete
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by SFPete » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Get a cheap big surfboard. I am a 200lb guy and I was trying to learn it on a strapped 5'8" surfboard. It was taking forever but I went out with Ovi on a 6'6" floaty surfboard and it was much easier. Things seemed to just slow down a bit.

peta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peta » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi guys,
http://www.iksurfmag.com the free UK online kiteboarding magazine has some awesome TT and surfboard tricks including: waterstart a strapless surfboard, jibes and many other tricks. They usually show the tricks via text, pictures and a movie. Here is the link for the strapless surfboard jibe:

http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue26/?t=Sur ... e&page=107

http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue28/?t=Sur ... ue&page=73

This has helped me tremendously.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Olivier wrote:Hello,

I need some advice for a new directional board this year. I am kiting for years on a twintip at 3rd av. and I am trying since last year to use a surfboard directional. But I have a big issue to learn how to Jibe.

I have currently a North RocketFish 2007 (5'9" - 17"). It is a good board but I just cannot learn how to Jibe with it. It seems way too unstable for a beginner on a surfboard.
I tried probably a good dozen sessions on it focusing only on Jibe without any success.

So I think I need a bigger board this year.

Reading older post on the forum, I think I need a board longer than 6" and wider than 19" (I am 150lbs).
Perhaps a board that I could use in the future for lightwind or surfing.

But the choice is huge and I have no idea what are the most common brand of Surfboard or what style of board are better for beginner.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!
Olivier
Come see me and I will give you some pointers, I have demonstrated to a lot people to jibe and tack.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com