One Control Bar To Rule Them All

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin
Re: One Control Bar To Rule Them All

Post by WindMuch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 pm

And if you ever need to keep your tent, kids, zeppelin, etc. from flying away in the wind, just put your Slingy bar on top of it - the things are HEAVY!

(I use the Slingy bar, so I can say that from experience)

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Kirk there are a few things I like about the bar that differentiate it from the other bars I've used:

1) Dyneema Rigid Lines - makes laying and untangling the lines way easier, the lines hold their form over a much longer distance than standard kite lines

2) Super Simple Quick Release with no moving parts - a non-mechanical / no-spring / fold-over design that is more evolved than the traditional foldover / velcro combo that I've seen on old school bars (pre-spring loaded style days) by instead using molded low-profile parts

3) Sheathed pass-through safety line, with easy select full or partial depower rings for unhooking. It seems like it's almost impossible due to the sheathing for the depower rope or the safety line to encounter any wear from depower throw (sheeting in and out). It's easy to go into unhook mode and re-configure your safety connection on the fly on the water (either hook to the red ring or the other ring)

4) Simple working center line swivel & top depower pulley, bungeed depower rope - A lot of the center line swivels I've seen on bars are bulky and look over-engineered. I've also heard of them even failing (wtf?) The one on the RRD bar is super simple as is the depower line pulley. The depower line is bungeed to keep it always out of the way no matter how much it is trimmed in

5) Look & Feel - Everything RRD designs incorporates thoughtful aesthetic elements and the bar is no exception.. it has great feel and is very direct.. I'm not sure if it's the lines or the bar material but everything feels very crisp and not spongy.

Only CON for me on the bar is distance to Y-split for ease of self-land reasons you listed earlier. Self-lands of course can still be performed it's just harder. If they put that within reach it would check every box for me

Notice about the pict how in the position of the traditional "depower rope" there appears to be a single unit. It is because it is actually a protected sheath that contains both the pass-through safety line as well as the depower rope.

Ciaooo
RD13-Global_Bar_V5-386.jpg
RD13-Global_Bar_V5-386.jpg (15.33KiB)Viewed 6469 times

gtilde
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gtilde » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Yea, what is already said.
Some questions to answer
What is the line setup from leaders and swivel/safety parts to ends?
Best to use same style - 5line 4line with y at "x" meters 4line equal....
For 4line is it 1 or 2 line flagging?
You may be committed to a specific swivel type
What about from the leaders and chken line?
you may have flexibility. As mentioned throw may or not be a question. make sure safety line will safely work with it.

Here
Older north bottom end- safety works, I just like the release and above bar sheeting
Slingshot swivel up- kite design is single line flag, and their lines are good plus i ha
ve them

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm

gtilde wrote:For 4line is it 1 or 2 line flagging?
This is a good point and I don't think it was previously mentioned - but is extremely important to bring up. 1 / 2 line flagging is a kite-design attribute and something you should know before you pair a 4-line bar to a 4-line kite.

i.e. a kite designed to flag on it's back to 2-front lines run on a 1-line flagging bar may pinwheel on you, and vice versa you may be dealing with a kite that's not fulling depowering for you with safety punched

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 am

Bar with low Y is the best way to go .

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am

I have an Airush Smart Bar.
Cips between 45 and 55cm super easily.
Excellent Swivel (2011+, the 2010 blows).
Adjustable line lengths (10m, 15, 25m) though i've never flown anything other than 25m. I've flown with it my:
2011 RRD Vision
2011 JN WT3 (sold, needed ~3" extensions on the back lines),
2012 Airush Lithium
2011 Airush ONE
2006 Best Waroo (2006!, RIP)

Does everything well EXCEPT i reaaaaaally dislike depower straps in any bar. I will miss the RRD's rope / sailboat type "mechanism" (has no moving parts). Anyone know if i can convert to this type? That would make the Airush bar a 10/10 IMHO.

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 am

Aloha wrote:Kirk there are a few things I like about the bar that differentiate it from the other bars I've used:

1) Dyneema Rigid Lines - makes laying and untangling the lines way easier, the lines hold their form over a much longer distance than standard kite lines

2) Super Simple Quick Release with no moving parts - a non-mechanical / no-spring / fold-over design that is more evolved than the traditional foldover / velcro combo that I've seen on old school bars (pre-spring loaded style days) by instead using molded low-profile parts

3) Sheathed pass-through safety line, with easy select full or partial depower rings for unhooking. It seems like it's almost impossible due to the sheathing for the depower rope or the safety line to encounter any wear from depower throw (sheeting in and out). It's easy to go into unhook mode and re-configure your safety connection on the fly on the water (either hook to the red ring or the other ring)

4) Simple working center line swivel & top depower pulley, bungeed depower rope - A lot of the center line swivels I've seen on bars are bulky and look over-engineered. I've also heard of them even failing (wtf?) The one on the RRD bar is super simple as is the depower line pulley. The depower line is bungeed to keep it always out of the way no matter how much it is trimmed in

5) Look & Feel - Everything RRD designs incorporates thoughtful aesthetic elements and the bar is no exception.. it has great feel and is very direct.. I'm not sure if it's the lines or the bar material but everything feels very crisp and not spongy.

Only CON for me on the bar is distance to Y-split for ease of self-land reasons you listed earlier. Self-lands of course can still be performed it's just harder. If they put that within reach it would check every box for me

Notice about the pict how in the position of the traditional "depower rope" there appears to be a single unit. It is because it is actually a protected sheath that contains both the pass-through safety line as well as the depower rope.

Ciaooo
RD13-Global_Bar_V5-386.jpg
Sounds just like the V3 RRD Bar of the last few years - with the same issues (no 1 line flag), Y way up the line and - this looks new from the picture - no more OSR handles WTF? If you aren't going to flag out 1 line (which may be preferable if you are experienced and crashing a lot) at least give us OSR handles if it all goes to hell.

The depower cleet is the best I have used, I'll say that.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 pm

the V3 seriously lacked the swivel... the V4 and V5 have meh solutions. V4 is the v3 bar with a SS washer to "swivel", and a pulley depower. Same with the V5, v3 bar with a plastic washer to "swivel". My front lines still twisted like there was no tomorrow.

That's part of the reason why i kept the Airush Smart bar and sold the RRD... but then boom... the depower straps are a headache compared to the simple RRD cleet *&HN i would much rather deal with untwisting the front lines every now and then.

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 pm

I use the Naish universal bar with my Naish and RRD kites. Why? Cuz Nat said to...'nuf said.
Tunces - The driving cat!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Tunces wrote:I use the Naish universal bar with my Naish and RRD kites. Why? Cuz Nat said to...'nuf said.
Naish's 2012-13 Universal C-bar matches up & works really well with the following kite brands...
Airush
Blade
BWS
Core
Epic
F-One
Liquid Force
Ozone
RRD
Slingshot
Switch
Wainman

The Universal C-bar has a very low positioned swivel to make self-landing a piece of cake!
For 2013 it comes in two flavors - Below the Bar & Above the Bar depower. ;-)