Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderators: BayAreaKite, WindMuch

Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby beej » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm in the area frequently for work (Either downtown or in Palo Alto). Are there spots that blow late in the area?

Here in Oregon I can get a session in after work at a few different locations. Anything like that in your neck of the woods?
beej
Joey
Joey
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby nick_80044 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 pm

There were some days last year at the Racetrack (located in Albany) where it kept blowing and blowing and I stopped just because I was done, not because the wind died (which is usually the case). But I don't know how you predict such days, or if it's worth struggling through rush hour traffic to take a chance.
nick_80044
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby Aloha » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am

Assuming you're in town working out of your Albany, CA branch office of course
User avatar
Aloha
Old School
Old School
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:45 pm
Location: CrissydroFoilmeda

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby stompdit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 am

He could be a horse jockey and work at GGF!

Aloha wrote:Assuming you're in town working out of your Albany, CA branch office of course



But ya, you can get sessions after 5pm at spots close to you. If you go to third ave I'd recommend the upper launch if it's gonna be a late sesh.
User avatar
stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby etxxz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

3rd ave in summers is the shizle... and the biznit too.

Works till late and that's about as close and consistent as it gets near Palo Alto. For a middle-peninsula cubicle dweller such as myself it works great. Get there, and LATE cause our bosses suck, to avoid everyone. Bad thing is that 3rd it likes to shut down at sunset out of nowhere. Earlier can get crowded, but its totally funny to watch people run around in circles like ants. On zoo days, you just tack way north.


Everything else is too far to get there on time and score some *bg&
Wish i'd live closer to the city, or worked in the city. I'd go to crissy all the time IUYT
etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby nick_80044 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:45 pm

beej wrote:I'm in the area frequently for work (Either downtown or in Palo Alto). Are there spots that blow late in the area?

Here in Oregon I can get a session in after work at a few different locations. Anything like that in your neck of the woods?


When you said "downtown," I assumed you meant San Francisco.

The Racetrack is about 12 miles from the Financial District. Takes 17 minutes according to Google Maps. Of course, this is probably with no traffic. In traffic, the time will increase substantially. But that will be true no matter where you head to from downtown.
nick_80044
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby le noun » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 am

nick_80044 wrote:
beej wrote:I'm in the area frequently for work (Either downtown or in Palo Alto). Are there spots that blow late in the area?

Here in Oregon I can get a session in after work at a few different locations. Anything like that in your neck of the woods?


When you said "downtown," I assumed you meant San Francisco.

The Racetrack is about 12 miles from the Financial District. Takes 17 minutes according to Google Maps. Of course, this is probably with no traffic. In traffic, the time will increase substantially. But that will be true no matter where you head to from downtown.


Well, he's saying "later" in the day, so I would imagine he's thinking 4/5ish.
Bay bridge is a bi**h to cross around that time.
3rd ave is ok with the usual "slowing down" right before you get to the exit.
I would say coyote so you shave a few minutes off, but that means you're ok with paying for parking. However, good thing is, if you're there during the summer, the boardsports shack will be open to help you out. |}{+
Kites: 2014 F-One Bandit VII: 12m, 10m and 8m. All pink/blue.
Board: 2014 F-One Spicy & 5'6 Fish.
Harness: Manera Exoharness.
Wetsuit: Underwave Sultan shortleg 4/3.
User avatar
le noun
Old School
Old School
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby beej » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 am

Yep, downtown San Francisco.

Thanks for all the good info. In the city today actually, but I'm being told it's not going to blow anywhere. :-(
beej
Joey
Joey
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby sailfree » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 am

from downtown SF -> Crissy Field beach right next to Exploratorium.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11619

from Palo Alto -> 3rd ave (next Mariners golf course) or Coyote Point for flat water, and Half Moon Bay for waves.
User avatar
sailfree
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:20 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Postby Aloha » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 am

Crissy I think is where most of us who work downtown kite after work

^But then again I only know one other person who kites that works in downtown SF (but most of the weekday crew at Crissy seem to at least live in SF)

Whenever there is potential westerly on tap Crissy might have a chance - don't write it off for this afternoon just yet
User avatar
Aloha
Old School
Old School
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:45 pm
Location: CrissydroFoilmeda


Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest