Landboarding...first impressions

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I just got my landboard in the mail today and already got a quick sesh on it today.

I picked up the Switch board. Seems well put toghether and solid, and the price was right. Got out at 'front yards' in 12-15mph on an 11m. It took awhile to get my head around riding as it's a little different than on the water but after about an hour I was downwinding and tacking back up the beach. No airs yet but it'll come.

It takes a bit of power to get up and going and I had to stay in a 20 foot swath of sand that was not too wet or too dry. Downwind is pretty easy. It seems that the trick is to carve a little upwind on the power stroke and then drift back down wind as the kite goes back to 11-12. This kept enough tension on the lines to not drop the kite on the beach. Coming back upwind was actually more difficult as the harder I would 'edge' the more the wheels would dig in and scrub speed. It's a balancing act. Kinda like a twin tip I would imagine (can't really ride one of those!).
It also worked a lot better to keep the kite a little higher. I usually ride with my kite low but this just caused the wheels to either skid out or dig in to much. Kite at about 60 deg. seemed to be a good compromise. Also if a soft spot of sand was coming up moving the kite overhead for a second and sheeting in a little took some weight off the wheels and allowed me to glide over the soft stuff.

Overall, it was super fun and allowed me to get in a session when the wind was to light to get on the water. I'm totally stoked on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 am

That sounds amazing and makes me a little sad that I sold off my mountain board. Hopefully he's enjoying it, though.

keithdkd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by keithdkd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 am

I want to try it too sometime. Where do people mountain board nearby? I have heard of people doing it in a "kite flying" zone near shoreline.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 am

keithdkd wrote:I want to try it too sometime. Where do people mountain board nearby? I have heard of people doing it in a "kite flying" zone near shoreline.
Not sure where you are, but I've been riding at Front Yards, here in Santa Cruz. It's a long beach with plenty of room to get going. Wind is side/on and usually mellow 12-20mph.
Come down and try it out. Anyone is welcome to borrow my board for a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Landboarding...first impressions

Post by WindMuch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I've ridden my mountain board (with a kite) at the big parking lot behind Golden Gate Fields in Berkeley (a.k.a. "The Racetrack"). It's paved with some dirt sections, so I'd recommend a board with pneumatic tires vs. a skateboard.

Dunno if it's 'legal' or 'allowed' but I was in 'ask for forgiveness, not permission' mode, so your mileage may vary...

Kirk out

Kiteboardertony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardertony » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 am

We do alot of landboarding at the kite flying area out at Shoreline in Mt.View..come out and join us theres usually some very helpful and friendly guys out there to assist if you need help or pointers....have a few others "secret" spots around too...just be safe and wear a helmet when your learning, and stay away from the power lines too!

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 pm

3 or 4 spots in Benicia depending on wind direction. Mountain boards, long boards or carve boards...

I have demo carve boards and mountain boards to try.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot