Kahoona V4 - Improve Depower

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
denniskempin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by denniskempin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:05 am

Hey everyone!

I am pretty much a beginner and while I was out in Alameda today the wind picked up really quick. I was too far downwind for anyone being around to help me land, so I decided that self-rescue might be the safest option.

The problem I had with my Best Kahoona 11.5m is that it does not have full depower after pulling the QR. It's sitting at the edge of the wind window with the power lines attached to my safety leash. The power lines still hand so much tension that I barely could pull myself closer to the kite.

I do not feel very comfortable with that. Obviously it's not possible to completely remove all power, it's still a kite sitting in the wind, no matter what de-power system is used.
But are there any options to improve the QR de-power of this kite? I read that the 2013 Best bar system added a one-line de-power mechanism, is it possible to rig the 2012 kite with the 2013 bar?

What else can I do in this kind of situation? Is self-rescue the safest decision or are there other options?

Thanks!
- Dennis

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kahoona V4 - Improve Depower

Post by buckidge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 am

My 11.5m (v2 kahoona, 2011) rigs up fine with the 2013 bar. I haven't tried the QR yet, but I imagine it will flag to one line just fine.

Before the 2013 bar, I used a 2011 bar. It seemed alright, although still a bit of tug following QR release. The QR release for me has mostly been before a self-rescue, so I'd often just wrap up one of the bridle lines first and keep it from pulling too hard.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am

I use the Best RP bar 2011 version. Yes, there can still be some pull when you punch out. If you get into a spot where you need to totally depower for self rescue or landing, just grab the Oh Shit handles. they are labled OSR on the little loops. Pull on one of them until the kite flags out on a single back line. Then wrap that line around the bar to lock it off. Then you can just walk up the lies to the kite. It's a little messy but it works when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Also, if you want to make your current Redline bar depower on to only one front line, you can for about $5. PM me if you want the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD