What's the right clothing setup for March in the Bay Area?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident
What's the right clothing setup for March in the Bay Area?

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

WindMuch wrote:
sc-surfer wrote: winter and no... (snip)... hood except on the coldest days.
No wonder you just had your ear(s) drilled, Monte! Do you wear earplugs?
Actually, both Docs I talked to admitted that wearing plugs at this point would likely have very little impact on future growth. I'll wear them when it's super cold just for comfort because my ears are a little more sensitive but generally I don't wear them.

I figure I got to 40 before the surgery. If i get to 80 and have to do it again I'll call it a win!! :-)

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Re: What's the right clothing setup for March in the Bay Are

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 am

I think some people are genetically predisposed to surfer's ear if exposed to cold water over extended periods. I've had my ears drilled twice. My younger brother's had his ears drilled 4 times (each). Could be because he white water kayaks in the winter up in Oregon, but he swears he doesn't roll THAT much. He wears plugs religiously (as do I). Not fun surgery and not without risk.

Plugs good idea. Not sure I agree with statement that wearing plugs doesn't have an impact. Seems to make sense that keeping your ear canal warmer prevents occlusion. Seems to work for me, anyway.

I'll bet there's a ton of guys out there that have 80% occlusion and don't even know it. Although surgery techniques have improved over the years, it's possible to incur nerve damage that can affect your sense of taste. Chances of damage go up relating to occlusion rate. Better to catch it early and prevention is better than anything.

I know I look like a dork with those plugs but I don't care. I hate being out of the water and I really really hate that surgery.

4/3mm w/hood on the coast all year, 4/3 ok in the bay too in March but pretty soon 3/2 in the bay with springsuit possible if you sport a walrus figure. Definitely colder on the coast up in Oregon than here but not by a huge margin.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

5/3 with hood and booties for the coast, and no hood with the same setup in the summer at 3rd.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I tend to be colder than most people so I wear a Hyperflex neoprene jacket year-round for extra warmth. It's especially needed in the winter and spring. In the summer, it's a bit much until the first time I get wet, and then it's perfect and I'm much more comfortable at the end of my session.

I mostly kite at East Bay spots (Berkeley, Racetrack, Marina Bay, Toll Plaza, Alameda). I'd probably dress down for Sherman.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm

4/3mm w/hood on the coast all year, 4/3 ok in the bay too in March but pretty soon 3/2 in the bay with springsuit possible if you sport a walrus figure.
Hey, I work hard on that walrus figure so i can wear a shorty in April :)

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm

if you've got it, flaunt it......make me understand why that seal sidled up to me one day and started massaging my arm with his (her) mouth. I think they were love bites.......