Local Kite Repair in Alameda/East Bay Area

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Re: Local Kite Repair in Alameda/East Bay Area

Post by reyrivera » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:52 am

This is for your 3 strut Religion right?

If there is no damage to the kite and no other repairs to be made (leaking bladders, torn canopy), since this is an experiment, not even sure if the kite is going to fly properly, I'll donate my time to you, just cover the cost of whatever material and parts that we might need. I'm curious if the kite will fly in different conditions.

I figure, we cut the three struts clean straight, leave some dacron, tape the seams, and run the sewing machine through it. Maybe, make it a straight long 2 inch pocket in case you want to put some flexible battens in the future. Should be a straightforward job.

As for the single inflation points, we will just shorten the hoses, and then plug them securely, so we don't have to touch the leading edge.

Rey
Aloha wrote:Ray I might need you to do some "soft batten sew down" work on a little project kite shortly ;]

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Hey Rey - Update here: it flies great at least on land / lightwind. I left enough strut material to fold over / sew down. The biggest issue so far is as you can imagine: water re-launch. First experiment in low wind on side of window didn't go well. I'm wondering if it would do a little better in more reasonable wind (kitable) and allowing the kite to be squarely downwind. The leading edge tubes flare out I'm curious if they'd allow enough exposure to create that chain reaction of canopy expansion / water dump

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 am

Aloha wrote:... I'm wondering if it would do a little better in more reasonable wind (kitable) and allowing the kite to be squarely downwind. The leading edge tubes flare out I'm curious if they'd allow enough exposure to create that chain reaction of canopy expansion / water dump
that's how he does it at boardridingmaui.com. it takes a little patience but works.