New Dog Shower at Crissy Field

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ramsey
Resident
Resident
Re: New Dog Shower at Crissy Field

Post by ramsey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 am

Hey ollie, I agree putting in a dog shower really has nothing to do with windsurfing or kiteboarding. I can see how it can build a relationship with the powers that be though.

From my experience dealing with parks in the bay area it seems that animals have much more rights than humans so giving in to the dog lobby can build a powerful partner.

I just wish we could get the bird people on our side. That way maybe they could open up some spots in the south bay. 100k acres of bay lands and millions of dollars of grants and they can't even allow a small area for windsports. {}[]

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:44 pm

I love dogs. I love birds too. But sometimes dog people and bird people are the kookiest folks you'll ever run into.

The national park folks have been pretty intent on banning off-leash dogs in the GGNRA, even in areas where they've always been able to go. Kudos to the SFBA if the dog showers buy some political goodwill.....and helps us prevent any unwarranted restrictions on either dogs or kites or sails for the sake of purely imagined risks to plovers.

Finding the balance in recreational demands of various users along with ecological concerns is not easy.......especially when politics get involved.

Ollie speaks his mind too much to be a decent politician. Although.......decent + politician......is maybe an oxymoron anyway. Ollie, I'm not calling you a moron.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Loscocco wrote:Where is the Asian dog?
they need a yellow lab in that pic
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 am

FOG I agree 100%.. Despite them often being lumped into the category of the bad guy with the footprint.. Recreational users represent huge partner potential for environmental advocates

They bring economic value to the table in the consideration of the preserve which doesn't exist in the old school green pitch. Pragmatic sustainability advocates understand that economic value creation is one of the legs of the stool, as is cooperative engagement of the community & stakeholders in a tone that is collaborative.

There's few positions worse for a government partner non-profit organization to be in than realizing they've disenfranchised stakeholders when they suddenly for whatever reason could really use their support

i.e. In good times signing off on green initiatives might be easy, but when money for programs starts getting tight - it's nice to have tax-paying citizens as advocate partners carrying with them hard earned dollars & cents by your side.

:animals-dogrun: ...Even if they might be followed by an adorable little off leash puppy :animals-dog: