Mavericks is on!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
friggin old guy
Regular
Regular
Re: Mavericks is on!

Post by friggin old guy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 pm

What if you had a big wave party and the waves didn't show up? How embarrassing.....I think Surfline really misses the expertise of Sean Collins

And the "improvements" recently made to their website are just friggin' annoying.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Mavericks is on!

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Ya. Over the years surfline has gone from a pure surf forecast site to a money making marketing machine. Im sure that isnt what Sean had in mind.

Anyone remember the Surf Fax?? I'd go back to that if it existed. I'm tired of all this content driven internet stuff. I just want the surf forecast. No adds or other crap. Where do I sign up for that??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah, the surf was not that big-for Mavericks. Apparently its all about the ability to forecast, and then sometimes the forecast doesn't work out.

I thought they did a pretty good job covering the event considering that this is a one of a kind start-up kind of affair. The feed would crash every once in a while, and there was a lot of down time, but otherwise not bad.

Hopefully they can make this a yearly thing so they can work the bugs out. The best footage I thought was shot from one of the boats, that way you could get a sense of how big the waves were that they were riding.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

yojimbo wrote:
I thought they did a pretty good job covering the event considering that this is a one of a kind start-up kind of affair. The feed would crash every once in a while, and there was a lot of down time, but otherwise not bad.
Hmmm. Except for the fact that the main contest site (http://www.mavericksinvitational.com) was down for, literally, the entire duration of the event. Good thing Redbull had the feed or nobody would have been able to stream it. I'd call that a massive fail.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Mavericks is on!

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm

WindMuch wrote:
yojimbo wrote:
Hmmm. Except for the fact that the main contest site (http://www.mavericksinvitational.com) was down for, literally, the entire duration of the event. Good thing Redbull had the feed or nobody would have been able to stream it. I'd call that a massive fail.

Ya. Epic fail. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sandman_510
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandman_510 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

There were in fact big waves, just not death-defying...
Check the pics on any website and you'll see some triple-overhead waves.
I'm all for having the contest happen more often and risk that it be tamer some years than others. And the fact that they sold out the event in HMB means sponsors more likely to stick with it...