Shark Sighting OB - Sun Oct 28th

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
friggin old guy
Regular
Regular
Re: Shark Sighting OB - Sun Oct 28th

Post by friggin old guy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 pm

After a spate of attacks up in Oregon a few years ago, they had a bunch of marine biologists descend on Coos Bay.....one of them shared a story of diving around the Farallones. Guy said he was observing a big great white swimming off in distance.....he was in about 40 ft of water, down on the bottom. There were these flat-topped pinnacles of rock, so he swam up to one and rested on it trying to get a fix on the shark, which had disappeared in the distance. He got this "creepy feeling" and turned around to see the shark coming up over the top of the pinnacle behind him. As soon as he made eye contact, it swam away.....but he really wondered what would have happened if he hadn't turned around at that last moment.

They like the sneak attack.

They'll eat anything.

Fortunately we're not a preferred menu option, but.......divers never getting attacked....heh.....I'd like to think they don't like kitesurfers but......fogetaboudit. They'll chomp on anything that they're curious about.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 pm

UPDATE:

Surfer says he punched attacking shark to persuade it to let go

The surfer had been riding waves at a deep-water spot he called Bunkers in Humboldt County, near the North Jetty. The attack occurred at about 10 a.m. and Stephens, who opened his eyes underwater and saw the shark, guessed that it was a juvenile great white.

"The shark came up from underneath me and pretty much grabbed onto my side and pulled me under the water," he said. "I opened my eyes under the water and punched the shark in the side of the head a couple of times until it released me."

The surfer added: "I came back up to the surface and my board was a little ways away. ... I was able to get back on my board. Luckily the shark had taken off. ... I saw a lot of blood and a pretty good wound in my side. But I was able to paddle back in."

"They're out there and you're entering their home every time you go surfing," he said. "It's part of surfing. ... it's in no way going to keep me from surfing again."
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 pm

ballsy! like the mountain lion signs at trailheads: "if attacked, fight back"

As for divers, i'm pretty sure spear fishermen are in there. I've been charged by blue tips and bull sharks spearfishing in florida many times. Many more is my catch just gone when i start pulling on my float line. I had a easy 10footer bull shark come vertical at me once while i was cumming a blue runner. It got within a ft of my fins, leveled out and kept going. Reef lemon even tigers i've been face to face with them, have even done shark dives no problem, they are nice loving animals. WHITE SHARK THO - forget it i'm defly afraid of them blame it on Jaws or idk they are just dumb aggressive hungry a*0ls.

that's crazy..

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:13 pm

GW's are often solo predators, whereas others especially bulls shcool.......I almost think I'd rather be swimming with a great white than a bunch of bull sharks.

Have you ever seen this one with researcher Eric Ritter......he's a big proponent of the "if you keep calm they won't bite you" idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tZGTFTrBcw

he still wades with sharks even after this....I mean, I think he's right up to a point but wading amongst a bunch of bull sharks is just kinda plain stupid to me.......

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Re: Shark Sighting OB - Sun Oct 28th

Post by buckidge » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Aloha wrote:Abalone is a free dive - but yes it is rare for a scuba diver to get attacked that is probably what you're thinking of

There are several things about a scuba diver that make them appear to be rather unappetizing
Should i bring tanks and a mask next time i kite the coast just in case i end up dragging for my board? Would i look enough like a diver/ too much like a kook? (its a fine line i suppose...)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm

A great white shark can swim up to 12 mph in attack mode. So a kitesurfer can theoritically outrun the shark :lol:

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 am

Aloha wrote:Abalone is a free dive - but yes it is rare for a scuba diver to get attacked that is probably what you're thinking of

There are several things about a scuba diver that make them appear to be rather unappetizing
Mostly SCUBA Divers STAY DOWN and dive near WALLS and Rocky outcroppings- (this is also where FISH congragate and hang out, thats why you'll often see SEALS HUNTING in those areas)
GW's are AMBUSH HUNTERS, they like to STRIKE SUDDENLY from BELOW.... the one's traveling along the surface arn't really hunting, just searching....
Free divers are UP AND DOWN, UP AND DOWN, they swim harder, cause splashing without RHYTHM- Sharks are ATTRACTED by short bursts of FAST MOTION, most often they'll SWIM RIGHT PAST A SMOOTH EVEN MOTION, so DONT PANIC and you'll be far less attractive...

Now to put this into perspective: In 36 years of surfing (and working on Sport Fishing boats), I've NEVER even spotted a GW shark, the ONLY LIVE G.W. I've EVER SEEN was at the Aquarium, Tiger Sharks are another story...

Have FUN!!! S*urf
L.M.G.

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:16 pm

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:12 pm

"I hate sharks", lol. Not exactly the deepest insight to gather from that situation.

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:58 pm

1352132976.jpg
1352132976.jpg (37.25KiB)Viewed 3053 times
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"