Surfer killed by shark near Santa Barbara

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin
Surfer killed by shark near Santa Barbara

Post by Loscocco » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm

RIP

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/C ... 975323.php

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AP) — A surfer was killed Tuesday by a shark off a beach at coastal Vandenberg Air Force Base following a summer of shark sightings along California's Central Coast, authorities said.
Francisco Javier Solorio Jr., 39, of Orcutt was killed in the attack off the coast of Surf Beach in Lompoc, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.
He was bitten by the shark in his upper torso.
Solorio "had a friend who he was surfing with who saw the shark bite or hit the man," said sheriff's Sgt. Mark A. Williams. "His friend ended up swimming over and pulling him from the water where he received first aid."
The friend started first aid while another surfer called for help, but Solorio was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene.
The Air Force said he was not affiliated with the base, which allows public access to some of its beaches.
The type of shark involved and other details were under investigation.
It was the latest shark attack fatality at Surf Beach, about 150 miles northwest of Los Angeles.
In October 2010, Lucas Ransom, a 19-year-old student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, died when a shark nearly severed his leg as he body-boarded.
Hundreds of miles south near the coast of San Diego, a 15-foot great white shark is believed to have killed triathlete David Martin in 2008.
There were no shark warning signs posted at Surf Beach on Tuesday, said Lt. Erik Raney, adding that beaches don't typically post such notices unless the location had a recent shark sighting.
"We've had shark sightings up and down the Santa Barbara coastline pretty frequently recently," said Raney, adding that the sightings are well-publicized.
Last month, warning signs were posted at Santa Barbara Harbor, about 65 miles southeast of Surf Beach, after a 14-foot great white shark was spotted by a surfer.
In July, a man escaped injury near Santa Cruz after being thrown from his kayak by a great white shark that bit through the vessel. An almost identical incident occurred off the coast of Cambria in May.
Death by shark attack is rare. An average of 65 shark attacks occur each year around the world that typically result in two or three deaths, according to the Pew Environment Group.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/C ... z2AAscUfVy
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Surfer killed by shark near Santa Barbara

Post by le noun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Sad sad sad.
We try to ignore them and I know it's rare, but it's always in my mind when I ride the coast.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 am

Your FEAR actually emits a different electrical signal then when your calm... Sharks snouts are lined with hundreds of tiny electrical receptors which SMELL FEAR-

So- BREATH DEEP, and Love your Mother... (Earth)

RIP-
G'

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:51 am

Greg wrote:Your FEAR actually emits a different electrical signal then when your calm... Sharks snouts are lined with hundreds of tiny electrical receptors which SMELL FEAR-

RIP-
G'
Last Saturday I could smell the fear reeking off myself while dragging through the surf...

There is something eerie about having nothing between your torso and the deep blue, stories like these don't help.

I have to give his friend props for his rescue efforts, i'd like to think i would of done the same. hope to never be in a situation like that.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm

i was just going to post these news. crazy. So many sightings lately!

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

NCKite_Ryder wrote:
Greg wrote:Your FEAR actually emits a different electrical signal then when your calm... Sharks snouts are lined with hundreds of tiny electrical receptors which SMELL FEAR-

RIP-
G'
Last Saturday I could smell the fear reeking off myself while dragging through the surf...

There is something eerie about having nothing between your torso and the deep blue, stories like these don't help.

I have to give his friend props for his rescue efforts, i'd like to think i would of done the same. hope to never be in a situation like that.
when i lived in florida. A kiter got bit in his ass by multiple sharks like 1/2mi out and the lifeguard paddled out there to get him and brought him in! he died from loosing so much blood but was alive when he was picked up by paramedics thanks to that lifeguard. Ballsy i too think the same way as you >K($

More Waves Please
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by More Waves Please » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:30 pm

I had a look at that repelsharks.com website. Note the following that's posted there:

"DO NOT USE IN AREAS FREQUENTED BY GREAT WHITE SHARKS, an ambush predator."

I've been suspect of the recent "shark repellants" that have some out - electronic gizmos and magnets. It seems to me that they work by creating an electric or magnetic field that fuzzes out a shark's senses once it gets close enough. The problem to me has been that sharks are actually attracted to low-level electro-magnetic fields. So at a distance, a shark probably senses the field and swims up to it to check it out. Once it gets too close, the field is much stronger than that of a dying fish, and fries the shark's senses.

Great whites may sense the field from a shark repellant from a distance and then swim to the neighborhood to check it out. Rather than gingerly swimming up to you like the lemon sharks in the repelsharks.com website, I'm guessing that our big sharks would actually bullrush the signal, hitting it hard just like they would a big elephant seal.

I don't think I want a 15 - 20 ft shark curious about the electric signal emanating from my ankle or board.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm

More Waves Please wrote:I had a look at that repelsharks.com website. Note the following that's posted there:

"DO NOT USE IN AREAS FREQUENTED BY GREAT WHITE SHARKS, an ambush predator."

I've been suspect of the recent "shark repellants" that have some out - electronic gizmos and magnets. It seems to me that they work by creating an electric or magnetic field that fuzzes out a shark's senses once it gets close enough. The problem to me has been that sharks are actually attracted to low-level electro-magnetic fields. So at a distance, a shark probably senses the field and swims up to it to check it out. Once it gets too close, the field is much stronger than that of a dying fish, and fries the shark's senses.

Great whites may sense the field from a shark repellant from a distance and then swim to the neighborhood to check it out. Rather than gingerly swimming up to you like the lemon sharks in the repelsharks.com website, I'm guessing that our big sharks would actually bullrush the signal, hitting it hard just like they would a big elephant seal.

I don't think I want a 15 - 20 ft shark curious about the electric signal emanating from my ankle or board.
Reminds me of the warning I got in Alaska NOT to use a bear whistle because it sounds just like the warning cry of the Horny Marmot- ( Grizzly Bear's LOVE Marmot) LOL!!!

I remember this 4' shark in Abaco, RACING, I shit you not RACING to see what was going on with this downed kiter friend of mine.. He was thrashing and shit trying to relaunch his CRAP kite,.. and nearly SHIT himself when I told him about the shark I'd just scared off- (VERY TRUE STORY)

In Abaco I kited over Tiger Sharks so big it looked like the reef was swimming away, no shit. At around 10' they start to fill out from several hundred pounds to something like 2500 lbs for 12' to 13'. I local fisherman named Manny said Cherokee Sound is famous for BIG SHARKS...

I think they mostly are attracted by FEAR, they can feel you swimming for a very long distance, any irregular pulse and they KNOW (you're there)... Popping and pounding are NO-NO's as well as THRASHING, never thrash-

Have Funnnnnnnnnn..... FT&^
L.M.G.

marinaTKB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinaTKB » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:01 am

from the news reports you can see the shark took a bite out of the middle of the board... looks like the poor guy just very unlucky from the one fatal bite....