Koloa, HI

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Koloa, HI

Post by amir » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:09 pm

I was lucky enough to stay at a place near the YMCA camp, so my wife dropped me off at lumahai and I kited back to tunnels. The point just east of tunnels is were most kiters ride waves. If it's windy here's where you'll meet the locals. Let the surfers ride the waves at tunnels if they are there.

Locals told me of winders from ahnini and hanalei. I didn't do that. Be aware of the beaches and wind shadows if you do.

I'm sure you can just bum a ride in the back of a pickup from tunnels back to hanalei. There's only one road in and out.

Also, don't just be aware of the tide height and the reef. There are weird currents in the channels between the reefs.

Have fun!

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:59 am

Red_Element_Andy wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. @! Looks like I am going to have to watch the tides given alot of these spots have shallow reef. Also hadn't thought about kiting Mahalepu, but might as well if I can sneak away from family activities for 2 hrs.

For those of you that mentioned down-winders from Hanalei to Tunnels - did you arrange a shuttle back, or just drive a car down there?

1. Tides are not an issue.
2. The beach at Mahalepu is perfect for families. The reef at the point makes for great protected swim area for the kids.
3. Don't forget that it's winter so watch the surf forecast before you head out of Hanalei. Conditions can be dramatically different outside the reefs.
Tunces - The driving cat!

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:26 pm

If you have a car head to the airport and get on a flight to Maui for a day. Walk your kites right from the Airport to the beach. Kite then order beers on the flight back to Kaui.