Newbie Question - Kite Size

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Anthony Conti
Joey
Joey
Newbie Question - Kite Size

Post by Anthony Conti » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:44 pm

Another newbie question.

What size kite does a newbie start off with? I guess I would be going Alameda or Sherman to start off with till I get good enough for other locations. (hoping I can get up to crissyfield level).

I am 6'0 and about 175lbs.

-Anthony

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:41 am

take a lesson and you will learn which size is the best for you here in the bay. Starting kiteing is just to dangerous without lessons ...

K

Anthony Conti
Joey
Joey

Kite Size

Post by Anthony Conti » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:03 am

Oh I plan to take a lessons before even attemping it. I really don't feel like gett my ass dragged all over the place. Just looking around at equiptment and prices.

-A

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Newbie Question - Kite Size

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:58 pm

Depends really, it won't be long before you wish you had moe than one kite. For instance, at Alameda you would often need a 14 or 16. At 3rd or Crissy, a 12 would be used often. Sherman would likely be an 8, 10, or 12.

In a shameless plug, a have a matching set of 2002 Wipika Airblasts listed in the classifieds: a 12, 14 and 16, I would let the trio go for 900 even.
Anthony Conti wrote:Another newbie question.

What size kite does a newbie start off with? I guess I would be going Alameda or Sherman to start off with till I get good enough for other locations. (hoping I can get up to crissyfield level).

I am 6'0 and about 175lbs.

-Anthony

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:01 am

A 12M will be your most common kite size for most places in the Bay, except for Alameda. In the summer Alameda is mostly 16M or bigger. Maybe start out with a bigger board, and then once you get better, you can get a smaller board and be able to ride in stronger wind. You can get some good deals on used gear now.