OB Wednesday...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Re: OB Wednesday...

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm

friggin old guy wrote:
That was right after I almost ran over Ollie........

OB.......lookout.......it's wild........
Saw two dolphins coming up for air, pretty cool...

No worries, I just tacked back the other way, seems many others riding there yesterday (not talking about you...) have no problem pinching you off when you have nowhere else to go and sending you right into a set about to break and dump on you... A few times I weaved my kite between two others with a few feet to spare to get through and save my ass, but if someones tailgating me on my ass, and another is pinching me off to send me into a breaking washcycle, I'd have no problem taking someone else out with me...No worries, it was just crowded with the breaking sets focused in a small area, so it was kind of mobbed...

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm

You have to be JOKinG! this is fucking KiTbOarDing!

If you didn't hit it you missed ôút
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Dolphins????? They were dolphins?????? I thought they were some kind of vile something intent on eating me.......

But seriously......I thought it would be fun to check out an evening session at OB, it's been so long since I've kited out there.

I've been surfing OB since 1980, back when you pretty much had to go looking for people if you didn't want to feel like you were the only thing on the menu. It's more crowded surfing there these days, but mostly the place has avoided very much of the localism thing......like I said in another post, I think partly because the way the water pulls you around, it's hard to get very territorial about a peak when you have to paddle like a friggin' madman just to stay on it.

I was surprised by how many folks were out kiting last night, and most of all that they were all scrunched up on the north side of the beach when there were 2 miles of beach largely unused. I wanted to see if I could run into a few folks (well Ollie I guess I pulled that off ok) since I've been out of the water for awhile due to injury.

I don't kite there as much as I surf because I'm not such a big fan of the onshore conditions that prevail, and it's usually pretty hellchoppy.

So.....I gotta ask......(even though I contributed to the party)......why does everybody mob the north end so much?????????????? Sheepism? It does get a bit harder to work a rotation in those kinds of conditions, so the crowd definitely felt a little......claustophobic..........

And also seriously......has anybody else had a bird run into your kite or lines? It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.........

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 pm

ha!
Last edited by buckidge on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Friggin old guy... I met you and your awesome dog at the beach sharing the same story. Crazy ass seagulls! Good to now put a face to a name (if I remember!).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:41 am

[quote="friggin old guy"And also seriously......has anybody else had a bird run into your kite or lines? It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.........[/quote]

yup same thing happened to me at the harbor last year. crazy feeling, i don't think they can see the lines, or if they do, maybe they don't expect them to move.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 am

Sheepism? It does get a bit harder to work a rotation in those kinds of conditions, so the crowd definitely felt a little......claustophobic..........

uhh. of course. if you stick that awesome strapless frontroll and nobody is there to see it, did it really happen?

I think we all know that the answer is no.

on the other hand, if you were out there mowing the lawn and nobody saw you mowing the lawn, I believe most folks will take your word that you were, in fact, mowing the lawn.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:27 am

Ben Wilson had a bird deflate his kite in Fiji while kiting huge Cloudbreak. Check out the part at about 6:15:

http://vimeo.com/29500587[/video]

Loosing your kite could be deadly in conditions like that!

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 am

friggin old guy wrote:And also seriously......has anybody else had a bird run into your kite or lines? It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.........
I posted on this a while back:

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... ull#p49524

Funny thing is, FOG replied to that thread. Senior moment????

John

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:16 pm

South end of the beach had sweet south swell in it yesterday... almost got barrelled, knowbody was there to see it so ill just leave it at almost.

Thats about as good as it gets for the OBEACH!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -