Front roll tips?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident
Re: Front roll tips?

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 am

This is the move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icyYyoHmr4

extra points for style, inverted, grab, and going big.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

motorcyclemark
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by motorcyclemark » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Just getting these down, and from Coop and others at 3rd upper launch I learned that for me it was essential to: send kite a bit, jump and *THEN AND ONLY THEN JUST AFTER LEAVING THE WATER* rotate by bringing your front knee up and simultaneously your shoulder and head around HARD into the direction of the rotation (this was the biggest factor!!! for a LONG time I was jumping too early (like on a backroll) and this stalled out my rotation leading to many frustrating backsplats and one split kite!). The rotation is much floatier than a typical backroll for me (suck up your knees to ensure you will get around), and then the trick is to find the right balance of timing to pull with your front/leading hand to redirect the kite properly as you land. If you pull too hard with the front hand, you will potentially downloop the kite (which can lead to a nice transition if done intentionally) or a punishing crash (if accidental!)! If you don't pull enough with the leading hand you will just usually teabag into the water (not catastrophic). In fact I found that I started with frontrolls to teabag landings (kite sitting overhead or a little behind me), and then played with more and more leading hand pull as I was about halfway around the rotation (and adjusting bent knees versus straight legs for adjustment of rotation speed) to get the kite going for smooth, more powered landings. Strangely I normally learn tricks on port first, but frontrolls for me came easiest on starboard first - not sure why! Now I am better at them on port, with teabagging sometimes annoyingly occurring on starboard (not enough leading hand pull!). Anyway, hope this helps!!

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 pm

I haven't yet got front rolls down however watch how the video shows the rider bear off then load up.

For a long time I didn't do this properly. Try it without a trick just load and pop until you really get it.

Then try it with a hard fast rotation after the pop - can you complete it before hitting the apex of your jump? If you do that consistently I think you'll be better off for any kind of jump trick including massive airs.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Ps I'm gonna try front rolls soon. Let you know how that goes ;)

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Paul, no idea how the strapless one works. But if you wanna meet up at sherman and spend a session or two trying I'd be glad to ::) ::)

burtonac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by burtonac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:54 am

Really appreciate the advice . Motorcyclemark--very helpful, I see what you are getting at. Greg--I think I got the gist...thx. Ramsey, I may take you up on the 3rd offer, thx as well.

Sounds like height and front knee tuck are big factors. My issue with bigger air on any rotation (front or back) is sending the kite reliably when you are rotating, avoiding an accidental kite loop or a hindenburg, which has happened to me too. I tend to do my slowest/highest back rolls thru board pop more than kite send, and looking for a nice wave face to launch from. Maybe doing some back rolls with kite send will help me learn to manage the kite while rotating? Wish me luck :)

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 am

You basically have to pay some dues in the beginning... everyone body slams a few times.

Kiteloop frontrolls are fun on an 8m. Been wanting to do a toeside frontroll transition... videos make it look easy. They always look easy in the videos at super slow motion.

"I could stick that blind judge" Yea Right!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 pm

you gotta commit. EAR TO SHOULDER.

throw your head around and your body will follow. my guess is you get halfway and stop looking thru your rotation. you turn your head at first, which gets you half way, and then you probably stop turning your head.

if you throw your head hard to your shoulder and keep it pressed to your shoulder you should make it around just fine.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

dpca10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dpca10 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:37 pm

I remember how cool it was when I first got these. A few things:
1) I read a great article that said in almost all cases (besides unhooked), when you leave the water for every trick it should look the same at the start. That is including the edge and pop off the water. Your shoulders and hips initiate the rotation.
2) Your body follows where your head looks like adam says, once you leave the water push your chin to your back shoulder and keep looking, don't let your chin come off until you complete your rotation. (focus on this, don't just read it and forget)
3) A front roll really is a 1 1/2 spin since when you edge for your pop you are half way to a back roll. Remember this for your rotation, you will probably have to swivel your hips through at the end.
4) After getting good height and at the top of the jump, consider taking your back hand off the bar and start pulling with your front, this will pull you through.
5) pull your knees up to rotate faster.

Let us know how it goes.

burtonac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by burtonac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Awesome tips. Thanks!