Kite advice

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Re: Kite advice

Post by recoprianto » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 pm

kitenaked wrote:
recoprianto wrote:
kitenaked wrote:Small switchblade is super fun. 8m
Any 9m or smaller kite is fun. If a kite sucks in those sizes, it is a seriously bad kite.

Most companies are represented in the Bay. demo them all. You will find what you like. Any recommendation from anyone is bull$&*^. Everyone wants something different, you included.

I love my kites, but doubt you would as a beginner...but you just never know until you try them.

Any recommendation from anyone is bull...? Then all our words and advice is bull. Guess there is no use for this forum. :)
It certainly is not to help someone pick a brand of kite to ride. Pick a type of kite to ride or give reasons not to pick a brand are reasonable though.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Re: Re: Kite advice

Post by kitenaked » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:45 pm

recoprianto wrote:
kitenaked wrote:
recoprianto wrote: Any 9m or smaller kite is fun. If a kite sucks in those sizes, it is a seriously bad kite.

Most companies are represented in the Bay. demo them all. You will find what you like. Any recommendation from anyone is bull$&*^. Everyone wants something different, you included.

I love my kites, but doubt you would as a beginner...but you just never know until you try them.

Any recommendation from anyone is bull...? Then all our words and advice is bull. Guess there is no use for this forum. :)
It certainly is not to help someone pick a brand of kite to ride. Pick a type of kite to ride or give reasons not to pick a brand are reasonable though.

that's a contradiction....

But for sure most all agree on trying what you are planning on buying. If it feels good, then you consider price and looks.

If it looks unattractive, you probably won't even test it.
Last edited by kitenaked on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Kite advice

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Wow. Lots of Best hatin'

I only ride the redline bar because it works and is set up how I like. That and I can get them for cost.

@Aloha, I'll show you how a Best bar can smack dat!! Any time brother! I'm off for a couple of weeks. Let's ride!

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Have to agree - Best is some of the worst gear I've flown. Sorry to be a hater - but after 10 days on Best and StarKites in DR last 2 weeks I will definitely never touch either one again.

The only kite that was halfway decent was the '12 Nemesis. The Kahuna flies ok (if you want stable but boring performance) but I had it invert on it's bridle twice on me.

The TS has zero torque and refuses to fly forward in the window not to mention it doesn't generate power in turns leading to a very jerky pull.

The older bars (before 2012) are downright dangerous. 2012 bar is ok but is just not in the same class as most other bars on the market.

Except StarKites. Oh my god what awful kites -- and the bar and lines are a complete joke.

Well I don't want to be too critical that's not fair - but if you insist on trying a cheapo brand I want to at least warn you to try before you buy - you definitely get what you pay for.

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Re: Kite advice

Post by buckidge » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 pm

sc-surfer wrote:Wow. Lots of Best hatin'

I only ride the redline bar because it works and is set up how I like. That and I can get them for cost.

@Aloha, I'll show you how a Best bar can smack dat!! Any time brother! I'm off for a couple of weeks. Let's ride!
+1 for best redline bar. Love the two strap depower system. Demoed many others but cleat systems really just couldn't get me excited.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Kite advice

Post by le noun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

It all comes down to preference.
I hate 2 straps system. Love the cleat system on my f-one bar.
Like others said, try stuff and make your own opinion.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re:

Post by stompdit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:44 am

tgautier wrote: Well I don't want to be too critical that's not fair - but if you insist on trying a cheapo brand I want to at least warn you to try before you buy - you definitely get what you pay for.
I fly Switch Kites and they work great, as do most kites on the market. It's ignorant to say a kite company sucks because they sell their kites cheaper. Companies can use different business models to cut costs while not sacrificing quality.

I'm sure there is a kite in every companies lineup that i would be stoked to ride on a daily basis and progress on just fine.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 am

"It's ignorant to say a kite company sucks because they sell their kites cheaper"

I did not say that. I said my personal experience with those brands was not good and I cautioned anyone who might consider them to try before you buy, advice which I stand behind for any purchase of kite gear.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 am

This conversation has gone south with the black birds....and yes, i contributed to its direction so i apologize for that.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

Aloha
Old School
Old School