Go Joe works

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windrider99
Contributor
Contributor
Go Joe works

Post by windrider99 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 am

I am at the level of maybe advanced beginner. I've learned to hang onto the board prety good after crashing, but still get separated from the board maybe once a session on average.

A couple days ago at 3rd the wind was about 25. 5 minutes into my session I got launched and ended up 10 yards downwind of my board (which was straps down) The waves were high and I just couldn't make much ground bodydragging upwind. Then I lost sight of it. After another 10 minutes of searching I gave up and dragged into the beach. Someone found and returned my board (thanks!) But the afternoon was wasted and so was I.

Yesterday I went and bought a Go Joe. At 3rd in the afternoon again the wind and waves were high. Once again i crashed and ended up maybe 5 yards downwind of the board (have to tighten those footstraps).

This time I just waited, wanting to see what would happen. Like magic,the board righed itself, and within 20 seconds it sailed down to me, right into my hand! It was like whistling for your obedient horse.

Dayum, it felt like Christmas! I went on to have a great session.

That Go Joe thing works! I don't care if it looks dorky, I'm sold.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Re: Go Joe works

Post by CdoG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 am

Its also so much safer then using a board leash.

ronf
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ronf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

+1 for the Go Joe .
I know, I know; I should practice bodydragging..........(and no style points-LOL)

SFPete
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by SFPete » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

Yea, but yesterday I saw a guy trying to jump with a GoJoe. Is that even allowed?

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:05 am

SFPete wrote:Yea, but yesterday I saw a guy trying to jump with a GoJoe. Is that even allowed?
as long as you grab the go-joe during a board off, it's allowed.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Go Joe works

Post by tomerp » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 am

My gojoe blew up about a year ago. Being too cheap to buy a new one I just ended up learning to body drag well. Try body dragging for your board in Stevenson (hood river) at 25 mph wind when the river pulls the board away from you. If you can get the board back there you can get it anywhere.

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 am

Several times this week I've seen people totally lose track of their boards in the chop at 3rd - it's pretty hard to body drag to your board if you can't see it. Worse still, if you lose it at 3rd and nobody grabs it, it will probably head straight for the middle of the Bay instead of washing up along the bike path. (I know this from painful personal experience). That might be me that you guys see jumping out there with a Go Joe. Snicker all you want, but I'm not taking that sucker off. I'd rather risk offending your delicate sensibilities than have to buy another board.

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am

Thor29 it might be you, or it might be! I'm making a hobby of seeing how high I can jump with my GoJoe attached. Watch out, pretty soon I'm going to be the first guy successfully performing backrolls with a GoJoe.

More seriously, the thing really works, and it helps. It is also majorly embarrassing. But I'll choose easily getting back to my board over coolness any day ;)

dw

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 am

I love the Go Joe on TT - for some reason my board seems camouflage one it's upside down out there

The only thing I don't like is that it sometimes it gets in the way of really aggressive riding especially heel to toe hop wapah transitions

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:24 am

Hello windrider99 I was the guy who run in to your board. Anybody else would have brought it back too.However it was pretty far out. Perfectly understandable that can happen. Happens to all of us however its still very helpful to work at body dragging upwind. And to stay in a reasonable possible radious of distance from the board.
Go joe does help but still I humbly might advise you to keep working on the bodydrag upwind, or fast downwind which will start to be handy once you crash in the waves.
On the flip side
Strange thing was as I was bringing your board back I had to drop it 50 yards before beach that day since it was too light than landed my kite kind of in the middle WRAPPED up my lines parked it closer to the Road. My lines were not touching anybodys lines. I must add. Yes Maybe somewhat close to the launch zone in a reasonable place avaliable where one can easily launch, maybe with the torture of a few extra steps.
Than run and swim to get your board before it hits the rocks as I made it back in 8 minutes or so some dude started to give me a bit of an attitude about landing my kite there and gave me a bit of a monolouge about a guy being pissed off about not being so happy with my kite there. I saw them move (agressively) my kite from the rocks to the almost grass like area.
That day I dragged in a buddy from the channel and than later your board. And left the kite and lines wrapped for 8 total minutes max. And still got an attitude (respectful but in my opinion not necessary given the circumstances)when the guy obviously saw me with 2 boards on my hand coming out of the water.
What I m trying to say is that most of us have good intentions and I appreciate that however there are usually 2 sides. Our sport has to mellow us a bit more than your typical surfer dude.