New kiter in Berkeley

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
AJr
Contributor
Contributor
New kiter in Berkeley

Post by AJr » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm moving to Berkeley this Friday to start up grad school and I'm looking forward to exploring the kite beaches near Berkeley and around the Bay Area. I'm an experienced warm water kiter, learned in Puerto Rico in 2009 and then lived in Tanzania and kited many many days in Zanzibar. Most recently, this June and July I lived in the village in Zanzibar (Paje) where I could kite 5 to 6 days per week. I really miss that sweet slice of paradise and I'm hoping to get in a couple of days per week on the water.

If anyone around Berkeley is looking for a riding buddy or if anyone has some free time to act as a Bay Area Kite Guide, reply here or send a PM, I will have regular access to a car. Look forward to meeting some friendly folks!! || ||

AJ
Rock and roll!!!

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New kiter in Berkeley

Post by AJr » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Also, I just started to build up a quiver of RPMs to replace my first kites (11m crossbow and 7m waroo) so if anyone has an RPM they are interested in selling (10m or 12m) I would be very interested.
Rock and roll!!!

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 pm

You should check out Racetrack... its a good starting spot this time of year . Berkeley has a tough launch... Marina Bay is fabulous and I've heard the Toll Plaza is nice but watch out for a Silver Nissan w/ some thugs rolling around looking for trouble. Those are your closest spots... then of course Sherman Island.

As for RPM's check out the NWkite forum classifieds. Probably best deal you can find for used RPM's, people are generally very trustworthy.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AJr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks, I definitely plan to try Sherman a couple of days in the coming two weeks. Can I expect to find other riders there on a week day??

Will also plan to check those other spots. Where is a good place to look for wind info for these spots? Windguru and windfinder? Any others worth noting?

Thanks NC Ryder!
Rock and roll!!!

rick
Contributor
Contributor

New kiter in Berkeley

Post by rick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 am

iKiteSurf.com is good, but you'd need to buy a subscription; they have sensors near many of the popular Bay Area spots and an iPhone app to access them.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 am

Yes, people will be at Sherman. Talk to the crew about launching and scope out the launch (and EXIT path).

http://www.windonthewater.com/ is another good free site. all of the addicted bay area kiters mostly have a subscription for http://www.ikitesurf.com/

Its all about getting to know the spots, our launches are not beginner launches, they tend to be more of the intermediate level.

Rock on!
AJr wrote:Thanks, I definitely plan to try Sherman a couple of days in the coming two weeks. Can I expect to find other riders there on a week day??

Will also plan to check those other spots. Where is a good place to look for wind info for these spots? Windguru and windfinder? Any others worth noting?

Thanks NC Ryder!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AJr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks! As an addicted kiter I'll definitely look into an ikitesurf subscription!

I am pretty experienced with about 70 days of warm water riding in side, side-on, and side-off conditions, very good at riding up wind both under and over powered (150lbs). I look forward to meeting locals and hearing what they have to say about their spot, its the first thing to do when I arrive some where new.
Rock and roll!!!

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Just introduce yourself at any of the local spots. It's a pretty laid back scene here around the Bay and everyone is very helpful.

Look forward to meeting you. Rock & Roll dude! =

-Steve XZSD

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 am

AJr wrote:Thanks! As an addicted kiter I'll definitely look into an ikitesurf subscription!

I am pretty experienced with about 70 days of warm water riding in side, side-on, and side-off conditions, very good at riding up wind both under and over powered (150lbs). I look forward to meeting locals and hearing what they have to say about their spot, its the first thing to do when I arrive some where new.
Just a note of caution since you mention that you are comfortable with side-on/off conditions. Race Track, Berkeley, and Sherman Island are onshore spots. Make sure you are okay going upwind ALL the time before heading out. Toll Plaza is a bit more forgiving, and Alameda is a cake walk (but the wind never blows there!).
Tunces - The driving cat!

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AJr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Tunces wrote:
AJr wrote:Thanks! As an addicted kiter I'll definitely look into an ikitesurf subscription!

Just a note of caution since you mention that you are comfortable with side-on/off conditions. Race Track, Berkeley, and Sherman Island are onshore spots. Make sure you are okay going upwind ALL the time before heading out. Toll Plaza is a bit more forgiving, and Alameda is a cake walk (but the wind never blows there!).
Thanks for the heads up. I just saw kites out at Berkeley Marina on Friday while I was moving in and saw the on shore direction. I look forward to meeting the locals and making a few friends! See you guys on the beach! ||
Rock and roll!!!