Waddell carpool.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Waddell carpool.

Post by buckidge » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 am

Heading out from SF in the next hour or so. Anyone want to carpool?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Waddell carpool.

Post by WindMuch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey there,

Nice to see you down there today!

Kirk out

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm

How often do we have to post the words "First Rule of Fight Club" around here. Jesus Christ.

Fourth rule of Fight Club: There are NO CARPOOLS TO FIGHT CLUB!

If your friend (or girlfriend) can't stay upwind, DON'T BRING THEM TO THE COAST! How many reasons need to be given? Sunday was all about dodging clueless twintip idiots (my apologies to my friend who are not idiots who ride twintips) who were unsuspectingly carpooled to the beach by their friends and given a 30-second tutorial on coastal etiquette ("See that board? It is a 'directional' board, and some people ride them in the waves").

DO NOT be the person who talks your friends into coming with you to kite a place where they will be given the evil eye all day out of no fault of their own!
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey Paul.... lets carpool next time.. i'm bringing my twintip so it won't take up much room in your car.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Paul,

I've surfed for 35 years. I've windsurfed (at Waddell and Ocean Beach) for 15, kited almost predominantly in waves for the past 4. Nothing irks me more than "dodging clueless twintip idiots" kiting wave spots. It's a buzzkill for sure.

But really, complaining about some newcomers on a nearly-flat, 1-2' surf day on a Sunday in the middle of the kiting season? And at Waddell? Where else should people learn to ride in the ocean in Northern California?

Carpool or not, these people are all 'in our way', as was the guy with the Go-Joe on his directional on Sunday (yes, really!). But these people have every bit as much ownership of the waves and wind as we do. In reality, I'd rather have someone who can't stay upwind, than someone who just rides in and out, without riding the waves. That person who can't stay upwind won't be an obstacle for very long!

If the weekend Waddell crowd isn't your thing, it's not hard to ride somewhere else on weekends. Gazos and other spots were windy both Saturday and Sunday (I rode elsewhere on the coast on Saturday and it wasn't anywhere near as crowded as Waddell). You're right, Sunday was a zoo, but It's easy to avoid the crowds (and get better/more waves). I walked upwind a couple hundred yards and had there were only 2 other guys up there. Why choose to ride where you know it'll be crowded and then complain about it?

I'm sure we've crossed paths in the water and I'd love to say howdy sometime. I wouldn't be surprised if we even recognized each other. Hopefully the above won't have pissed you off too much. I hope you can see a different perspective...

Kirk out

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I haven't seen so much aggro over hapless newbs dropping in on old guys' closeouts since the last time I surfed linda mar
Last edited by Aloha on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 am

ok, i have to weigh in on this one.

Pablo, if you thought Sunday was stupid you should have seen it Saturday between 3/4 pm.

Due to my schedule, as often as not if I'm going to hit Waddell, I'll have to settle for going on the weekend even though I know it'll be crowded. I usually don't have much of a problem....I can take the guy who doesn't know the ropes, and I know there's some guys that feel more entitled to the waves and will chicken jibe. Usually it's just working around the crowd, which up to a certain point is kind of entertainment in itself.

On Saturday, I don't know which was worse.....the guys that were totally clueless or the guys that obviously knew better and just didn't give a crap about screwing up the rotation.

I was out past everybody except for a windsurfer. He jibes on a set wave.....I jibe behind him and am close enough to ask him if he's going left or right, as we're right on the peak. He says right. Cool, I think. I've got the left. In the 15 seconds it took us to get into where it was setting up, there were no fewer than 4 guys that chicken-jibed, all upwind, none of which had much of a chance of making the wave right but obviously at least two of them were coming down that way.

Normally if I had caught the wave outside and was set up on the peak, I'd just go. In this case I didn't have time to figure out if the other guys really knew what they were doing, so I backed out and left it to the windsurfer. It was the biggest wave of the day (maybe a whopping 4 feet).

The rotation is not that hard to figure out. If somebody is already on a wave even way outside, it is not cool to jibe and ride the same wave unless you can tell they're going to take the wave in a different direction than you, or you can set up on a different section and stay completely out of their way.

I think it's better to try to educate the clueless guys through discussion and interchange on forums like this, as they honestly don't know that they're messing up. And it's easy to mess up when it's crowded, that's for sure.

I don't know what you do with the guys that feel entitled to screw everybody else over. It is a drag when guys won't respond to a normal call-off. But usually....I just go. Screw it. I think I'm leaning towards being more aggravated by those folks more than the clueless guys. The clueless guys have a decent excuse for messing things up.

These are not the type of conditions that are good for folks that are just learning the ropes in the waves. Potential for collisions is pretty high even if you do know the ropes. Better to ride a bit upwind or downwind instead of the main event area.

But yeah, this weekend had certain times when every wave was a party wave. And that's not good.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Can i carpool with a bunch of twinys to scott creek?
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Blackbird
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Pablito must not have slept much. Loscocco, lets carpool together with Pablito. I'll bring my wake skate (never used it yet), and get some lessons from Alex down there. I hear riding right in front of the parking lot is a good spot. I'll really be able to learn the waves there! My mom will be on shore taking pictures with her point and shoot Olympus 1 megapixel camera. She is a good shot. Her small dogs love little birds which I hear are abundant. Great appetizers. I hear the local yell all sorts of encouragement when I ride towards them so I am stoked to feel the love on the water!

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Nothing like wearing boots and throwing kiteloops in the set. Rob is good at it from what I heard.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D