The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sloughslut
Resident
Resident
Re: The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post by sloughslut » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 pm

I like this site. But i understand {}[]
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello all,

Thank you for all your kind words, I appreciate it so much. It has always been worthwhile to carry on with this endeavor as I've always gotten back every bit, or more, of what I've put into it from you all, and that is still the case. KK((

I think that despite whatever aspirations I may have for the future of the site, I'm not sure that anything I would hope for could become reality with agenda-free motivation and resources to at least continue it in the same fashion and/or expand it further to benefit you all. It would be disappointing to see the purpose, style and direction of it change or be degraded, it's a valuable resource for many and continues to help our community, not to mention the history of almost ten years of users and content. (I should post the registration history showing the first 100 users, the 'early adopters'!)

Perhaps for now the best option is to get a moderator and co-admin in place to help with the daily tasks of account activation (actually really hard keeping spammers and spambots out), moderating the forum when and if needed, and dealing with the regular 'I don't know/forgot my password' issues, ad management and a few other things. I have a couple people in mind, so I will ask them. It may not sound like a lot of tasks but when you're the only one doing them and you're doing it to some extent every day for years, it takes time.

It may take some time to find someone to acquire the site who wants to carry on and maintain a solid resource and possibly expand upon it as well. Perhaps in the meantime we'll get a couple people in place as moderators/co-admins to help out and keep the status quo.

Thanks everyone. %$

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 am

Ollie -
you've still got that $200 donation in I.T. services from WakeHappy due you ( REMEMBER, he was paid by me to help YOU with the website OVER 2 years ago)....
I can't remember, Why didn't you contact him again?? Was it simply too complicated dealing with an assistant or what.. ??? He told me he was a PROFESSIONAL I.T. consultant, and that you NEVER contacted him---

nexus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nexus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 am

I did pm you and offer the resources to keep it going the way it is. :) servers, bandwidth, administration - whatever the site needs to keep ticking. Keep it in mind.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:29 am

Greg wrote:Ollie -
you've still got that $200 donation in I.T. services from WakeHappy due you ( REMEMBER, he was paid by me to help YOU with the website OVER 2 years ago)....
I can't remember, Why didn't you contact him again?? Was it simply too complicated dealing with an assistant or what.. ??? He told me he was a PROFESSIONAL I.T. consultant, and that you NEVER contacted him---
Ollie- The reason I brought that up is to refresh your memory as to "why" you didn't want to have (outside) helpers...

I suggest, Let it go.. (sell) rather then frustrate yourself (for how many years) trying to remain in control.... (of what?) When your over it, your over it, you'll know when you get there-

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 am

Greg wrote:Ollie -
It was at least two years ago, maybe more like three. I was in contact with him and did have a specific task for him to do but nothing came of it, he flaked out, but no big deal.

nexus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nexus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:46 am

I can help with all that stuff. Just ask.

david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 am

I suggest you consider gifting it to the SFBA.

I have no idea if we will be willing to take it, but if you first find volunteers to run it, that will help.

But, if you truly don't want it commercialized more, then I think this is the only way.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:(actually really hard keeping spammers and spambots out), moderating the forum when and if needed...
Seems like most of the "community" or "forum" sites I've frequented over the years eventually become overrun by trolls and opportunists. Both have been refreshingly absent from BAK, and it just dawned on me that this is one of the reasons the site is so fun to use. Thanks for pointing out that this doesn't come without cost.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post by sc-surfer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 pm

I know you are busy but check your pm's. I'm sure mine isn't the only one. Unless Sergy got back to you… :-)