Lower back pain

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Lower back pain

Post by vdeub » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi,
Now I am in the excellent position of kiting everyday, my body takes a toll..
I am trying to improve my stance ! Keeping the pelvis outward when kiting, but I found it difficult to reach when I have to depower the kite. By trimming I can keep the bar closer to the body, but my depower range is reduced, and here on Maui it is gusty as hell (and choppy) which does nt help.
At my skill level, I keep my harness pretty loose and managed to maintain it around the lower waist most of the time, still, I end up to be bending my back a lot and feeling it like hell after one hour sesh. My arms are too short, it seems :) my chicken loop is middle size, it looks like. I guess I could go a little smaller if it existed (f-one bar)
I begin to consider to switch back to a seat harness, but i remember I did not
Like it at the time for other -virility related- reasons.
any advices ?

Ps: working on computer when not kiting does nt help too, for the back.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re: Lower back pain

Post by nick_80044 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 pm

I had a back injury six years ago and have recurring pain not necessarily related to kiting.

I'm not sure what you mean by "keeping [my] pelvis outward." I try to keep my pelvis INWARD--i.e., lean back and keep my body straight instead of crouching and doing the "pooh stance." This is easier on the lower back. I also keep my harness fairly tight which I think helps--in fact, when I re-injured my back last fall, it was so bad it hurt to walk, and I wore my harness around the house and while sitting as I felt it reduced the strain. If you're bending a lot, it sounds like you may be overpowered much of the time.

My only other thought would be to have a diligent regimen of lower back exercises to strengthen those muscles. Planks are really good for this.

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Outward from the body I meant, but inward relatively to the kite.
I may try by tighting my harness then. I don't think I am too overpowered (got my 7 most of the time) but the gusty nature of the wind is such I end up moving the bar a lot. I feel I don't have the reach.

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:13 pm

"I end up bending my back a lot and feeling it like hell after a one hour sesh."

Sounds like your waist harness is riding up constantly, raising your center of gravity, and stressing the muscles in your lower back. You must protect that area, the lumbar region at all costs. You mIght try the Dakine nitrous shorts @$180 or the Liquid Force Boardshort harness @$69. They are are compromise between a seat and a waist harnes, but closer to a seat harness. By locking in a lower center of gravity you can more easily ride with your "ass in", and not "ass out". I also recommend a traditional Pilates mat class at least once a week to strengthn your core and it will also teach you greater body awareness which leads to better overall alignment.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:15 pm

I had a great session at Alameda yesterday that included a lot of those "AH HA!" moments. It was light inside, but pretty nice once you got out there. I spent some time fully sheeted out and it seemed to help letting your front hand go, which also puts you into a better position to push against the extra power— then return your front hand to the bar when you sheet back in.

Hope this helps.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 pm

I noticed as well that riding one handed help to straight the body or give you more reach.
reflecting on this, i do think now i was overpowered on my 7m. today i trimmed it down completely and even if the kite was slow and sluggish it was a little more comfortable.
a guy told me: 5m for summer, 7m for winter ;)
but i will get s a shot to those shorts harness, if that could help even a little.
i realised after my sesh that even with the harness very tight and always riding the kite low, the harness goes up few inches and free my low back. could be enough to strain this part.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 am

Do you have an F-one kite as well as the bar? Their newer kites have two connection points for quicker steering vs. heavier bar pressure. Perhaps lighter conditions on your 7m might be fixed with some simple tuning– close to leading edge means faster turning and lighter bar pressure.

Also try bringing in the knots that hide behind your bar's floats to add power (shortening your steering lines). It also seem like many shops would be happy to assist you in testing your tuning settings, especially one that's located on a beach that relies on safe riders keeping them from being banned.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 am

It's really about laying back ON your harness and let it support you instead of fighting the kite with your back muscle.
So tighten your harness up and lay back!
Also, I agree with jwest, look at all the connection and make sure they're all tightened around the middle setting.
Ride a little AND THEN start playing with those settings.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:19 am

just bought the dakine nitrous short harness.
looks well done.
report after 1st session. after 3 years of waist harness, it is insanely uncomfortable ;)
specially, riding toe side on my surfboard.
however, my back was as new after a relatively long session, overpowered again on my 10 this time.
and this is priceless.
i guess you cannot have best of both world.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:14 am

I agree when OP I find a seat to be more comfortable because I can keep the kite high when I need to and just sit back against it whereas with a waist I get a ribwich (which also gives me heartburn after a long session like that)

If you end up trying the dynabar + shorts setup let us know what you think... Ciao!