I need me some Cutback

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
zgur
Resident
Resident
Re: I need me some Cutback

Post by zgur » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 pm

"Hey, you....get off of my wave" practice cutbacks, as long as you don't poach my wave ;-)

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

I thought Waddell was self-regulating.....oh wait.......

General rule to be followed is situational self-awareness......don't do anything that puts you into another guy's line while they're on a wave (including cramping their ability to send their kite if possible), or creates any kind of possibility for collision. Quick changes in direction that put you on starboard never give you the right to barge in front of somebody else. While that may not be strictly the case if you're racing, in wave situations everybody's going fast enough that the consequences dictate due caution. Do not depend on standard right of way at wave breaks....and be careful of any bozo that tells you that standard right of way rules apply in a wave zone. There's always a few that will insist that "legally" it's true, but if you listen to them you'll only get yourself into big trouble. Standard right of way applies when you're out past the wave zone, but even outside, not forcing it and giving way to somebody inbound..... signalling your intent clearly by dropping your kite low..... will win you grins from other kiters intent on getting that wave inside.

If there is a unbroken section behind a guy while he's riding a wave, probably not a good idea to come between him and that unbroken area when you're outbound. When in doubt, just stay inside til the coast is clear to proceed, even if it means losing way downwind........

All of the above assumes prevailing wind direction for Waddell, ie northerlies so outbound tack is starboard.......

Right of way rules for most of us are there to prevent collisions. In racing they become part of the strategy, but in wave zones there are special considerations that must be taken into account, very specifically that the guy on the wave has priority. Outside the wave zone, you don't have to insist on right of way even when you've got it, but the onus is on the person WITH right of way to clearly signal their intent so the guy on port tack can react accordingly.

Most of it is just common sense and application of the golden rule.....

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu May 30, 2013 10:26 am

cutback strapless air sunset session last night made me think of this thread. S*urf
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -