I need me some Cutback

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Aloha
Old School
Old School
Re: I need me some Cutback

Post by Aloha » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Tuba?

Cutback now into a backhand reo?

This thread sounds like BTP on a wave

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

I need me some Cutback

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 am

yojimbo wrote:Okay, this is what I was looking for, however, I wish they wouldn't keep cutting from the actual kiting footage all the time, but otherwise really well done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5MM-B8 ... ure=relmfu

Anyone know anything about how to ride unhooked while doing this? Like do you totally depower the kite before unhooking?

And where is that spot you have pictured with the windsurfer?

I'm telling ya, go find a copy of 'Smack'. It's all in there.

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 pm

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:56 am

6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Well that wasn't the spot I wasn't talking about, but I'm not going to talk about that spot either :-"

I would pay to see a kiter do a cutback at that spot, especially in those conditions. You'd be lucky to just to smack the lip without getting a full facial enema.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

marinaTKB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinaTKB » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 pm

The Kiteboarder has a dvd subscription offers that include SMACK www.store.thekiteboarder.com

if you order, write in comments section that you want SMACK as its not in DVD options (only a few left) or you can go to Brian Caserio's site www.sideoff.com He's usually a great source for dvds....

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 pm

So what exactly is the etiquette/right of way for the 'cutback'? I understand the wave rider is to get right of way just by riding the wave, regardless of direction, but ...

if someone is riding a wave and another kiter is on the same tack but on a course to pass over the wave upwind of the wave rider, and all of a sudden the waverider changes directions a collision is ready to happen. This can be really tricky when the non-waverider can't immediately turn back around due to other kiters behind them or being too close to shore to get out of the way.

Does the waverider always have right away, even to cutback into another kiter's path?

[I've had the pleasure of both pissing of those on waves by being in their way immediately after a cutback that I wasn't expecting as well as quickly maneuvering out of the way of a cutback to interfere with others]
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

I need me some Cutback

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 am

Hey Nick,

In general right of way goes to the rider on the wave. It is everyone else's job to stay out of the way. It can be challenging at times, especially when the carpools show up at the coast.
Nothing is a bigger bummer than to have finally timed it right and hooked in to a nice wave and then have to bail out of it because someone is in the way. At Wadell it'll get a dirty look, at other spots there might be some yelling. Like it or not, the surf influence is big here with some attitudes to match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks, Monte. Kinda what I figured. As I develop my cutback moves I'll be sure to understand more from the other side...
I'll tell my carpool buddies too. :::) ::) "; :mrgreen:
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

Nick - if you're cutting back you probably won't get in anyone's way - a cutback if you're going "right" is a turn left then a quick turn right again so you maintain DTL (down the line) motion. You're not likely to see a surf cutback out there kitesurfing unless someone is really dialed to park & ride

One you need to be careful of is heading out to the break, drop walleting the lip and positioning yourself to head back in upwind into someone right behind you on the same tack you were on, or on a tack slightly below you. "Rider's Right of Way" doesn't license that in my opinion, so you need to be sure you're not positioning yourself for a collision. If you're going to hit the lip on a chicken jibe - be sure no one is coming DTL on that wave, and that you're bearing off downwind to stay clear of anyone who is heading upwind/outbound right behind you

I love the passion for waveriding and your concern for dialing etiquette.. as it gets more and more crowded this is increasingly important. This year I'm continuing the tradition of quietly breaking the carpool rule from SF every weekend to Waddell, you in?*

*Not to be coordinated in public forum ;]