Visitor to SF: July 29 – Aug 5th (Questions)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Stinky
Joey
Joey
Re: Visitor to SF: July 29 – Aug 5th (Questions)

Post by Stinky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Hahaha, nice. I wanna maintain that toothy grin. Biggest kite I have is a grunty 14m. With my light sb and the 14, I can pretty much ride if it's kiteable. Much weaker wind and it's Flysurfer time (for Flysurfer guys, not me.)

So if I'm bringing three kites, it begs the question:

8/10/12?
8/12/14?
8/10/14?

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Hmm.. If you can bring 3 I'd recommend 8/10/12

If OB is really blowing "lightwind" sea breeze while you're here, you're better off probably riding somewhere else as it takes a very specific gear setup to make it work and you might be frustrated with a 14 as it might be only enough to just tease you

8 / 10 / 12 will give you versatility to ride any condition at a lot of great spots.. Crissy, Waddell, 3rd, even a marginal OB 10-15 knot light clearing wind day etc.

You are going to have a blast ... my buddy and I were just joking the other day there are almost TOO MANY options & styles of spot to ride in this area it can be hard to choose :]

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm

What part of town are you in?

You love waves. Waddell is an hour and is the best for them. Prob need an 8.

If you are in east SF or in East Bay, then definitely go to Sherman. It is only about 1 hour drive and has the steadiest wind. You will prob need a 10 or 8.

3rd is good unless you hit the tide wrong, which turns the place into a mud pit. You will prob be on a 10 here. Don't wear white anything.

A 12m or 14m are session savers in the Bay for me, and that should be left at home if you are not only coming to kite. I hardly ever use my 12 here and am bigger than you.

Stinky
Joey
Joey

Post by Stinky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Awesome stuff to hear, thanks a lot for the info everyone.

CraM
Joey
Joey

Post by CraM » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:44 am

G'day Bay Area kiters!

first off, have to thank my buddy Stinky for opening up the lines of communications for us Great Lakes boys. Stinky and i have ridden together for the last few years and have had the opportunity to ride in some great spots around the world.

I'm being randomly sent to SF for a course this Thursday and Friday - gonna stay out near SFO and will be done thurs/friday by 4pm. Will stay in town for the wknd.

I'm a strapless wave guy, only. I don't own a twintip nor have i touched one for more than 10mins in the last 3 years.
I spend about a month a year in Maui and lots of time in OBX as well.

From what i read here and from what i know from friends, Waddell seems like the place to ride. Can i make it to Waddell from the airport area around 4-5pm or is that traffic suicide? Afternoon wind?

Sounds like my 8/11 should do me fine (i'm 175lbs). Any point to bringing the 6m?

Can't wait to meet some of the crew out there and make some new friends.

thanks everyone and lookin forward to it.

-Chris Cram
naishkites.com
kazumasurfboards.com

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:54 am

Welcome - Waddell is awesome you will love it
enjoi-logo-568.jpg
enjoi-logo-568.jpg (22.79KiB)Viewed 4254 times

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Visitor to SF: July 29 – Aug 5th (Questions)

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Bring the 6m! Ive been on my 7 most days recently. Plenty of wind.

Stinky
Joey
Joey

Post by Stinky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 am

kaBAM! LLPP

SFPete
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by SFPete » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I think it would be tough to get to Waddell leaving SFO area around 4 or 5 on a weekday. You have all the cagers heading home at that time. Better bet is to hit 3rd right after work. It usually has little rollers that you can play in. On weekend head down to Waddell.

Stinky
Joey
Joey

Post by Stinky » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Hey all,

I just wanted to say thanks for an awesome week, great hospitality and lots of friendly faces. Rode a lot of fun spots, strapless SB all the way. Great sessions out in the Channel at 3rd, Sherman, and one session in particular that blew my mind: A ride out to the GG bridge from Crissy, up to the North Tower and beyond to roll in the big swells on the other side....played around a good long while before heading back in grinning like a fool as I took in that skyline. Thanks to my bro Wes for a great week, who took me around and watched my back.

Was a shame, the days I could've headed to Waddell the wind wasn't good for that spot, but here's to next summer. Here's a bird's eye snap of the launch at Sherman my last day there, Sunday around 1pm.

Great times!
Stinky