Plywood Boards

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Plywood Boards

Post by Big Al » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Has anyone ever made a plywood board? I'm thinking about making one as I've heard they are great light wind boards. I found some simple instructions on making one but would appreciate any advice if you have built one before?

Also, where can I get cheap foot pads and straps?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Plywood Boards

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:44 pm

Willy at Advanced Kite (www.advancedkite.com) has NSI wide straps for $12 apiece which is great. I don't know about pads, he might have them also. They would be the NSI Padz.

Kaz, who kites Alameda, has made a plywood board or two. The one I saw had a shaped stringer/strut running for tip to tail that defined the rocker. You might get a look at it there sometime. But I'd say go for it. Materials costs are minimal, so whatever you end up with will have been worth the time. The straps, padz and fins will set you back more than anything else, but you can always reuse those. The straps and fins anyway.

Ollie

Big Al wrote:Has anyone ever made a plywood board? I'm thinking about making one as I've heard they are great light wind boards. I found some simple instructions on making one but would appreciate any advice if you have built one before?

Also, where can I get cheap foot pads and straps?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:16 pm

Hey big Al,

Have you seen this web site? A bunch of brainiac MIT students who can't afford kite gear, so they build their own.

http://web.media.mit.edu/~saul/zeroprestige/menu.htm

they have tried all kinds of boards. I'm sure if you had a question after looking at this site you could break them off an email.

Blair