Where to go post Alameda

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
HelloJacques
Joey
Joey
Re: Where to go post Alameda

Post by HelloJacques » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:10 pm

I wish I had seen this earler. Ended up at Alameda today only to inflate and deflate my kite without ever making it out. Wind just died and never picked up. I did get a chance to speak to a few people about 3rd though and they all had similar things to say (As in try to avoid the rocks, make sure you've mastered self rescue and just go for it). Haven't heard back from Nat still over at sherman so 3rd is looking more likely as a go to.

DW thanks for the offer. It'd be awesome to get to know the site from someone with experience there. PMing you now.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm

HelloJacques wrote:I did get a chance to speak to a few people about 3rd though and they all had similar things to say (As in try to avoid the rocks, make sure you've mastered self rescue and just go for it).
One nice thing about Alameda--if you go there enough, you'll have lots and lots of time to chat with your fellow kiters. 8)

pThor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pThor » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm beginning and have done alameda, 3rd jet ski assisted, the toll plaza, and today did bodega. Bodega has stronger winds than alameda and much larger sailing area than the toll plaza or even alameda. Way less crowded too. It's a safe launch, and the water is shallow if you need to walk upwind (but go when tide is >= +3). Highly recommend it for learning to stay up wind, but it's a drive. I think I may do bodega again next weekend, then Sherman, then 3rd. But the launch at third is really small and kind of a zoo, and if you can't get back to the same small spot you left, the lower launch is hard to get to because of wind shadow. Not sure it's a great place to go if you can't stay up wind, yet but that danger would motivate you I guess

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:22 am

Kinda surprised that no one else here has mentioned an obvious point:

You need another kite. At any of the spots mentioned for you to go to next (Turd, SI, Bodega) an 11M kite is going to be too big for you at least half the time.

Don't be the guy who is launching an 11 when everyone else is on a 9 or smaller. Famous last words, "It's okay...I can handle it...I don't have another kite." ====

Unless you have a super flexible schedule and are a budding meteorologist, you will not be able to just show up at the beach and kite any of these places reliably unless you have two kites.

Kiting on too large a kite is not just dangerous, it will seriously hinder your learning curve. You will also spend too much time assuming the "poopy" position and quickly get labelled as a dangerous kook.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Bulldog wrote:Kiting on too large a kite is not just dangerous, it will seriously hinder your learning curve. You will also spend too much time assuming the "poopy" position and quickly get labelled as a dangerous kook.
I was busting that position out a few times at Bodega on my 9m.

Good point Bulldog. Get yourself a 7-9 and at least you'll only get skunked by the light days.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

HelloJacques
Joey
Joey

Post by HelloJacques » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Agreed definitely. I'm in the process of looking for a 9m right now. Originally I was thinking I'd get an 8 but I'm thinking of slowly upgrading to a 3 kite quiver. Today was one of the few occasions I've been there thus far where Alameda was really on. I went out early and was only out for 20 min before it picked up too much. It was a huge bummer just sitting and watching. At least that snippet was awesome.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 pm

If 11m kites are Peanut Butter then the after work 4-5p session at 3rd is Jelly

Just pick a day when the tide lines up to be super low for that 3-5p period for you

Good choice to build quiver in 2m increments - next stop 9, then when you can add a 7. It is harder when you're just starting out to run a 2 kite quiver imo - which usually requires more than one board / riding style

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Where to go post Alameda

Post by tomerp » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Aloha wrote:If 11m kites are Peanut Butter then the after work 4-5p session at 3rd is Jelly
And kiting in Sherman in the weekend is the Sunday waffle

skinnydoc
Contributor
Contributor

Toll Plaza details?

Post by skinnydoc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi all... am in the same quandary. Alameda to patchy, and trying to get wind with some authority to work on my runs. Still just starting to go upwind.

Can someone provide any details about kiting Toll Plaza, or provide a link? I plan to be respectful BTW, and not just go out stupidly. I see the site on google maps and it is very close to me, I'm trying to not HAVE to go to 3rd Ave as this is a haul and traffic/bridge gets in the way.

thanks for any details.

Ben

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:38 pm

we need an Aloha map for TP. I am also confused about how to find the place.