Where to go post Alameda

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
skinnydoc
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Where to go post Alameda

Post by skinnydoc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm

this is from another thread...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.82441 ... 1&t=m&z=16

not much other info there though.

I was looking for beginnerish details on launching and inevitable walking!

I'm planning to show up soon and just scope it out.

Ben

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 am

behindThePeak wrote:we need an Aloha map for TP. I am also confused about how to find the place.
Common philly cheese. make us a fun map. }|&#
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

skinnydoc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skinnydoc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:11 am

off topic:

(Le Noun, I see you have the F-One Bandit, I have the Bandit IV 11m from 2011 gotten on special. I'm a newb, and the kite is great overall, but I'm having a hell of a time with self rescure, e.g. the kite comes down LE first and the pull is a real pain, pulling me down wind, etc. Can you get your kite to 'taco', or at least not pull like a b**ch when it comes down? I heard of others having this issue, so I just am checking. I dont want to have to selfrescue in an exhausted state, and not be able to. Thanks for any info. Ben)

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 am

Sure.
the Kite, will keep this position and "pull" if you are anchored (aka, if you are standing on the beach, or on a strong ebb, with the current pushing you one way and the wind pushing the kite the other).
The only thing you have to do is: If on land, just walk toward the kite to make it flip on its back, if in the water, just swim toward it a couple of strokes, and voila!
People have the tendency to pull their safety at alameda to practice self rescue (which is good) but standing there in the water ankle deep (So you're more of an anchor instead of floating behind your kite and killing that pull). I recommend to do it in waist deep water and to let yourself "float" instead of walking to your kite, so you have the real idea of what it is to self rescue when in the middle of the channel.
:wink:

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:39 am

Aloha wrote:Just pick a day when the tide lines up to be super low for that 3-5p period for you
Can you tell me why this is? I would assume that you would want high tide to avoid trudging in through the mud?!?
Tunces - The driving cat!

skinnydoc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skinnydoc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am

le noun wrote:Sure.
the Kite, will keep this position and "pull" if you are anchored (aka, if you are standing on the beach, or on a strong ebb, with the current pushing you one way and the wind pushing the kite the other).
The only thing you have to do is: If on land, just walk toward the kite to make it flip on its back, if in the water, just swim toward it a couple of strokes, and voila!
People have the tendency to pull their safety at alameda to practice self rescue (which is good) but standing there in the water ankle deep (So you're more of an anchor instead of floating behind your kite and killing that pull). I recommend to do it in waist deep water and to let yourself "float" instead of walking to your kite, so you have the real idea of what it is to self rescue when in the middle of the channel.
:wink:
thanks for the advice, good point. I'll try it out more next time. Ben

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Tunces wrote:
Aloha wrote:Just pick a day when the tide lines up to be super low for that 3-5p period for you
Can you tell me why this is? I would assume that you would want high tide to avoid trudging in through the mud?!?
I figure if you're learning if you have to trudge in, at least you can trudge out

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Tunces wrote:
For 3 reasons: it's safer as a noob to have your kite landing on the mud if something goes wrong than on the rocks. Plus it's a good thing to see what lays under the water when it's high tide when you see the landscape at low tide.
And finally, last chance beach is really small at high tide if for any reason you miss the lower launch for landing.
Yes, it's a pain to walk thru that muddy crap, but it's safer overall for you and your equipment. At least as long as you're a noob.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm

And Ben, you're welcome. =-

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Tunces wrote:
This time of the year 3rd ave does not get the extreme tides. There was not much mud today at 3:00 - 5:00 and you can touch bottom pretty far out. Today was idea day for a beginner, low tide and plenty of wind.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com