For the love of foiling

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
CdoG
Old School
Old School
For the love of foiling

Post by CdoG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:37 am

Would love to read anything foil related
Any flying foot switch tips ? Or baby steps into jumping

Or kite size info for wind speed help ( I have to relearn what kite size for giving wind speed)
I used to ride my 12m up to about 20 on my surfboard now on the foil I got over powered @ 15
Went out in a November storm in 15 to 25 with a 7m and that worked
What kites sizes are you other foilers using in 15 to 25 ?

morecoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Re: For the love of foiling

Post by morecoffee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:41 pm

Kite size info: for learning to foil you want about 4m smaller than what you would use with a twintip. When you get comfortable (surprised to blow up) you can add 1-2m.

Switching feet: it depends some on what foil and type of kite you're riding and everyone's gybe technique is a little different, but in general you want to start switching before you enter the gybe rather than trying to switch after the gybe when you're slow and unstable. If you don't switch completely before starting the gybe (with a downloop), you should at least have your back foot out and preferably already moved up to the new front strap as you pass through dead downwind. As soon as you come out of the gybe no matter what is going on or how fucked up your balance is immediately start moving or scootching your new back foot towards the back strap. Don't evaluate, just do it. Life gets better as soon as your new back foot gets near the back strap. Gybes work better when you keep some or a lot of momentum, even for people learning, so don't be afraid to work the kite if you slow down too much.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply morecoffie
I seem to be following my surfboard routine which is outbound ,I drop down on the water switch feet then down loop go the other way ,the downloop flys me backup
On port side I lower the foil as I enter the turn but don't touch down,down loop kite
Witch rises me back up as I exit turn toe side....
Then I drop down to switch feet .
It looks like foilers lower there ride height and then do a little jump to switch feet
Have you tried this?
As for my foil I'm riding a stringy with tube kites

morecoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morecoffee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 pm

No easy answer without watching you (and my gybes aren't all that great) so I'll just mention some general advice. The goal is foiling gybes both sides without touching down and slowing no more than 50% from cruising/racing speed. The most reliable path to getting there seems to be to switch completely before carving into the gybe and downloop to pull you through it. Incremental steps that may help: just leave your feet in the straps and gybe over to toe side, ride a few seconds, then gybe back. Repeat until you start feeling ok a few seconds on toeside on both sides. The "jump to switch" as you call it is either someone who paid his dues for a year until he got it or a fucking mutant that picked it up in week. Like I said before, the counterintuitive thing is keeping your speed up makes it easier and reduces the blowups. Everyone has a dominant side, figure it out there then try to make it work other side. Trying a jump foot change with the board on the surface is unlikely to work unless you have flat water.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:57 am

I watch a lot of videos
Gunner
Ketos
Grag D

https://vimeo.com/210894236[/video]

This is wild @1:34 or so..

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Beautiful video, amazing riding.

Do you know what is the best angle to the wind for switching feet before the gybe ?
I am still doing touchdown gybe, and I'm heading off the wind to switch my feet, just before downloop. But it's probably better to switch feet while going across the wind ?
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

mbzporvida
Regular
Regular

Post by mbzporvida » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:01 am

Another trip around the sun ?

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 am

dz wrote:Beautiful video, amazing riding.

Do you know what is the best angle to the wind for switching feet before the gybe ?
I am still doing touchdown gybe, and I'm heading off the wind to switch my feet, just before downloop. But it's probably better to switch feet while going across the wind ?

I would say there is no right answer, switch when you can
how do you switch when riding your surfboard? cuz that would feel natural.